Monday, September 12
Are We Happy Plastic People?

I've been a fan of Mark Hall & the rest of the Casting Crowns gang since their first release, and I have to say I like their recent release, Lifesong, even more. Nothing revolutionary here; their music has a familiar quality to it, I guess the "easy listening" of contemporary Christian. Likeable, singable, relateable... Real stuff about real life.
Mark is a youth pastor, and although Casting Crowns has a touring schedule, they're home every week to lead their youth group...those kids are their first priority (that's the kind of thing that impresses me, not numbers). From what I can tell it seems success in the music industry was by accident, not by intent. Maybe they got hooked on the Jabez phenomenom and prayed to enlarge their territory, I dunno. In concert they look like they're having a blast...playing like kids although most of the band members are pretty "grown up".
I guess the reason Lifesong reeled me in was several of the songs spoke to where I am in life...to situations or circumstances close to me...to conversations I've had recently. Stained Glass Masquerade is one of 'em...I absolutely love these lyrics:
Is there anyone that fails / Is there anyone that falls /
Am I the only one in church today, feelin’ so small?
‘Cause when I take a look around / Everybody seems so strong /
I know they'll soon discover / That I don't belong

So I tuck it all away, like everything's okay /
If I make them all believe it, maybe I'll believe it too /
So with a painted grin, I play the part again /
So everyone will see me the way that I see them
Are we happy plastic people / Under shiny plastic steeples /
With walls around our weakness /
And smiles to hide our pain / But if the invitation’s open /
To every heart that has been broken /
Maybe then we close the curtain on our stained glass masquerade
Is there anyone who's been there / Are there any hands to raise /
Am I the only one who's traded / In the altar for a stage?
The performance is convincing / And we know every line by heart /
Only when no one is watching / Can we really fall apart

But would it set me free / If I dared to let you see /
The truth behind the person / You imagine me to be /
Would your eyes be opened / Or would you walk away /
Would the love of Jesus / Be enough to make you stay?
"Transparency"...some people don't get it and I think these lyrics explain it (or the opposite) rather well. One of my friends doesn't like the word. She said her first thought is flimsy, not substantial, not a whole lot to 'em, when she thinks of transparency relative to people. I've heard others equate it simply to "publicly bearing your soul". I don't see it either way.
Jesus tells us over and over that we're supposed to be like Him. The good thing is He doesn't expect us to be like Him and then refuse to let us know Him. He lets us in...He invites us in...He loves us into His life. Through His own Word and words He reveals His struggles, temptations, grief, prayers, anger, knowledge, joy, humility, power, empathy...He's one of us (yet hardly one of us). By becoming fully man, He modeled life as He intends for us to live it...but for some reason, we often only want to show our strength. He must be amused by our best efforts at flexing a little muscle; I'm thinking here of when my sons would hold up their skinny little boy arms and say with a proud and semi-toothless grin, "Hey, mom, look at my muscle...feel it!" and I'd comply by squeezing that little bicep-in-the-making, and grin inwardly at what they thought they had to show. Are we any different?
I've seen God move powerfully in my own life and relationships when I'm willing to reveal my inadequacies...struggles...sinfulness...pain, and share how God has worked in those times. Truth evokes a response from people no matter how it's packaged. I'm not talkin' Jerry Springer tell-alls, but you already know that. I'm talking investing in lives by sharing your own--not by presenting a perfect facade, but by letting others in, inviting them in, loving them in to your imperfect world...your real world. We all have our own versions of a "stained glass masquerade". Personally, I'd love for mine to be shattered....a much-more beautiful work of art just might emerge.

  Into the pensieve on Monday, September 12, 2005
  Your thoughts, please (4)


4 Comments:
At October 09, 2006, Blogger dan said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At October 09, 2006, Blogger Malissa said...

I respect Casting Crowns for saying that they will remain youth pastors. Interesting story.

Now about being transparent. We are so used to no one caring to hear how we really are that we just do this hypocritical "Baptist smile" as our Pastor says.

I'm working on being transparent--not always quiet there.

 
At October 09, 2006, Blogger Pamela said...

two comments:
1) Are we happy plastic people / Under shiny plastic steeples /
BETTER UNDER THAN ON TOP OF
OUCH

2) Jerry Springer is lookin' good on Dancing with the Stars. He learned to Waltz for his daughters wedding. She was on there and looks just like him. It made him a real person for the first time to me... and I felt bad for thinking he was such a jerk. But, only for the moment.

 
At October 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm thinking of the transparency of glass, or even a flimsy piece of overhead transparency film. I should be see-through, I should be just the flimsy piece of film, so that Christ can be seen instead of me. Am I still trying to cover it all up, so no one can see how little of Christ really shines through?
I think of all of the expectations people heap upon me & wonder if I can be allowed to be transparent --can I do what I do to honor & glorify God, or can I only do what the people want, in order to not offend all of the church people? I haven't found the balance, yet. Serve God or serve the people, seems to be the choice before me.
What if your PW got all transparent on you? Would you weird-out, would you gossip, would you judge? Or, would you tell her you have struggled in the same areas & you'll support her and pray for her? I hope you'd do the later, but so far, I've only gotten the former.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Please click the red pensieve...it's my current blogging spot!

My Photo Name:
Robin

Location:
10-a-c

Married to my college sweet-heart :)...three GREAT kids I'm not selling to the circus today...I LOVE to laugh (& smile often)...love to read & cook, hate to shop (unless the store is very small and doesn't leave me dazed and confused). I'm scared of flying so although I'd like to travel more, I don't.

I've been pleasantly surprised to find life in my 40s to be an amazing time of transformation & discovery--of self, others, creation and the Creator.

Here's a partial explanation for my Blog title. I think it'd be cool if they really existed.

A Pensieve is a stone basin.... [One] can extract his or her own memories and place them in the Pensieve, especially to relieve the mind when it becomes too flooded with information. Anyone can examine the memories in the Pensieve, which also allows viewers to fully immerse themselves in the memories stored within...

A Pensieve first appears in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire...

For the complete explanation, see
my 2/17/06 post.

My complete profile

The joke's on us.......
We Live in a Multiple Choice World....


A Perfect Post



Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Blogging Chicks []

September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
November 2007
January 2008



Header Design by:


Blog Design by:


Powered by: