Saturday, March 18
Magic
"Love...is the closest thing we have to magic."

The line comes from "Aquamarine", a tween movie I wasn't sure I'd be able to sit through after watching the first 20 minutes, but ended up tolerating if not mildly enjoying (probably mostly due to the fact during my own preteen years I spent hours in the pool pretending to be a mermaid!). It's a wonderfully profound statement in the midst of the otherwise trite, predictable dialogue found in this genre of movies. I guess I should say here, my daughter thoroughly enjoyed the movie; I wonder if she has ever pretended to be a mermaid, I need to ask her.

According to Merriam-Webster Online, magic can be defined as an extraordinary power or influence seemingly from a supernatural source. So, I'm not talking hocus pocus or abracadabra or even Wingardium Leviosa ;).

Children delight in a good story. Think about your kids in their preschool and early elementary years.....they BEG to be read to or to hear stories....books off the shelf or tales of your childhood, doesn't it blow your mind how they can listen to the same thing over and over and OVER until you (and they) can practically recite it?

For parents who follow Christ, there's a challenge to make the Story of God THIS delightful, THIS captivating, THIS desireable...so our children want to hear about it over and over and OVER until they don't only recite it, but LIVE it without even realizing that's what they're doing. Not just rote placement in their heads, but seared upon their hearts.

My kids are just over the age of being read to, but they still love hearing a good story. I wish I had had these thoughts when they were younger; then again, it might not have mattered because I'm not the same person I was then. Older? Wiser??? Well, definitely older (lol). Now it forces us to find a new way that "speaks" to their age.

Which brings me back to my original point. Love IS magic! Clearly not in a mystic, sleight of hand kind of way. God IS love, He is the supernatural source which exudes extraordinary power and influence. Don't for a second think I'm reducing God to some great magician status...if you do that, you're entirely missing my point. I am AWED by His love. Awestruck! When I STOP to consider the dimension and expression of His love, when I'm still and attentive enough, and I catch a glimpse, I am affected. Changed.

More on this soon...sometimes there's just not enough time to finish.

  Into the pensieve on Saturday, March 18, 2006
  Your thoughts, please (3)


3 Comments:
At October 10, 2006, Blogger Malissa said...

what great thoughts you were posting;) Too bad I didn't find you back then!

 
At October 12, 2006, Blogger Pamela said...

my dad was an agnostic. My mom a christian that didn't speak much about the magic... mostly about being good so you could go to heaven.
I DO REMEMBER when my ancient grandma came to visit and I woke up early in the morning and she was sitting on my bed talking about the devil and fire and chains. (She had some kind of stroke or seomthing that made her feeble and talk constantly)

THAT I remember. Scared the ever livin patoody outta me.

 
At October 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome, awe inspiring, magnifical, glorious, majestic,
are there any words vast enough to capture His glory, love and ___ -- what's the word?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Please click the red pensieve...it's my current blogging spot!

My Photo Name:
Robin

Location:
10-a-c

Married to my college sweet-heart :)...three GREAT kids I'm not selling to the circus today...I LOVE to laugh (& smile often)...love to read & cook, hate to shop (unless the store is very small and doesn't leave me dazed and confused). I'm scared of flying so although I'd like to travel more, I don't.

I've been pleasantly surprised to find life in my 40s to be an amazing time of transformation & discovery--of self, others, creation and the Creator.

Here's a partial explanation for my Blog title. I think it'd be cool if they really existed.

A Pensieve is a stone basin.... [One] can extract his or her own memories and place them in the Pensieve, especially to relieve the mind when it becomes too flooded with information. Anyone can examine the memories in the Pensieve, which also allows viewers to fully immerse themselves in the memories stored within...

A Pensieve first appears in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire...

For the complete explanation, see
my 2/17/06 post.

My complete profile

Poster of the week
Jesus is NOT my best friend!
Dance
"God is God...
Warning! Gushing mom alert!!
Kay Arthur: "I was a ...
Happy Birthday Baby......
I lost my cool in the `90s....
I'm writing...
Why "Pensieve"?


A Perfect Post



Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Blogging Chicks []

September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
November 2007
January 2008



Header Design by:


Blog Design by:


Powered by: