Wednesday, August 9
Clarification on Monday's post
That's a sexy title, huh? Guess it makes the point though, which is my "bad guy" post wasn't about "mother guilt". Not this time, anyway, lol.

Honestly, I was surprised by the number of comments and appreciated EVERY ONE. I was gonna go back and comment on the comments in the comment section (he he), but I figured it's taken me long enough that y'all most likely would never see it. Sooooo, my "personal comments" won't be quite so personal, since it's front page PENSIEVE, not pop-up window, behind-the-scenes stuff.

First, though, my clarification. Following Christ requires sacrifice. Sometimes big ones, but I think for most of us, more often it's the small things we give up. In this instance, particular songs from a band I like, not so much for my sake (because frankly I'm oblivious to the language...it just doesn't offend me, so I don't "hear" it), but for my kids' sake. It's what parents do. I guess my post was more a rail against responsibility than anything else...kinda like a child stomping her feet and whining saying, "But, I don't wanna!"

The clock is ticking on the time we have left influencing our kids in our home; I am keenly aware their behavior is shaped more so by our example than by our words. They know I make mistakes. I don't try to hide the obvious because I think hypocrisy is more damaging than screwing up, owning up, then moving on.

Which is what I think I'll do, on to my comments to my commentors, so the rest of you buzz off (ummm, you know I say that in the kindest of ways, right?)! If you choose to read 'em, go back to the original post to get their links--they're ALL worthy of a visit!

Cheeky, I already got to you but I thought I'd add, when I visit you, guess I know where I'll be staying ;).
Karmyn, good reminder at looking at everything, not just the patently obvious.
Heather, INTERESTING timing for your comments; I've just spent a fair amount of time looking at Philippians, and I agree with your difficulty. Complaining = the path of least resistance, so perhaps that's why we indulge it so often.
Willowtree, oh, my! What can I say? Glad to have found you, a good "LOL" is balm for the soul. You offer much balm. Appreciated the shout out from the Outback, I simply love the accent.
E-mom, ever the encourager, finding you in the blogosphere has been delightful. I'm grateful for the "research" you do over at Chrysalis to expose your readers to a variety of writers/topics.
Pamela, St. Francis is good for a few repeatable, scripture or not! I hadn't heard that one, so thanks for a newbie. Plus........as ALWAYS, your second comment had me rolling. Ahhh, more balm for the soul :).
Malissa, the 1 Corinthians 6 and 10 references often cross my mind with life "issues"; thanks for the reminder here. So thankful that we have a Standard to whom we surrender :).
Amanda, Welcome! You ARE who I thought you were:). And you have a great point--I do use colorful language for emphasis, expression. Also, I do temper my language based on the "audience" and my relationship with them. That's not hypocrisy, to me, it's discretion and respect. I suppose others could call it a cop out. Your "open minded" remark reminded me of a post I wrote about Screamo music. Ha! Y'all should check it out AND click the links included.
Shelly, I wondered if you'd stamp my passport one...more...time! btw, Jana said email her and she'll give you the down and dirty;)
Jana, always glad to see you back for a visit, and your post got me thinking... It just ain't about the music, my kids hear CRAP from commercials promoting the new fall line-up on TV (or whatever)...I literally CRINGE from the stupid commercials!! Sheesh...think about the junk that's in your home just from tv or surfin' the net :/.
Jennifer, Love it when you visit, too. Time's been tighter this week, so I'm not bouncing quite as much (sigh...), but soon. I gotta get faster, lol. Odd how I "hear" language much more loudly when my kids are in the room; otherwise, if it's not excessive, I'm desensitized...:/
Iris, a visit to your place is always refreshing, and uno what? I like MOST genres of music. Drives our kids nuts when we play the throwbacks ;) (I'm thinking swing right there, lol).
Julie, good to see you back, and yeah, I think my personality splits when the car door closes...or at least on the interstate...or in traffic around town...or perhaps anytime I'm behind the wheel! Really, REALLY working on that one with a near 14-year-old!

Wow...all the feedback leaves me with no time to post something new...does this count?

  Into the pensieve on Wednesday, August 09, 2006
  Your thoughts, please (7)


7 Comments:
At August 09, 2006, Blogger Pamela said...

Good morning. It counts! As usual I'm chasing the clock and need to shower and go to work.

I'm sort of the boss (I'm always bossy) this week as she is taking her son to college in Montana . . . a long way from home.

Have a good day. I wish I would have said "I'm sorry, I'm wrong" to my kids, more.

 
At August 09, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

Good work making us all feel special!
I have found that cursing is a heart issue: it's not the words I find offensive, just the fact that my temper has flared up again. I have thought a lot about words et al when the time comes to have kids. They don't exactly have the same filter I do to refrain when those I know are offended by the language are around.

 
At August 09, 2006, Blogger willowtree said...

How's the headache? I hope its passed.

Just as a point of interest, you mentioned that you speak differently depending on the audience. This is technically referred to as 'using a different register'. I know that from college and I had to use it a lot when swapping between IT personnel and Construction guys.

 
At August 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay - let me try again (you might get two comments from me - not sure what happened to the first one - lol)...

Hehe - liked how you handled your returning your comments. Neat idea..

You said "I am keenly aware their behavior is shaped more so by our example than by our words". I read a really great quote during my morning devotion. Also a St. Francis quote:
"Preach the gospel at all times and when necessary, use words." Kind of what you said "live by example"...
Have a blessed night.

 
At August 10, 2006, Blogger Susannah said...

So much fun to read all the comments, and then YOUR post on all the comments. And now THESE comments. Some have been over to my place too, so I feel in good company.

I think we're all women of words, yes? That leaves us with a responsibility to use them well.

And with that, I'll say chaio for now!

 
At August 10, 2006, Blogger Robin said...

Headache's a thing of the past...for now :). More later

 
At August 15, 2006, Blogger Robin said...

Iris, I love that quote attributed to St. Francis; it's rather pointed.

E-mom, one of my friends often says "words mean something".... My love language is words of affirmation; "sticks and stones" don't hold a candle to what harsh ones spoken to me can do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Please click the red pensieve...it's my current blogging spot!

My Photo Name:
Robin

Location:
10-a-c

Married to my college sweet-heart :)...three GREAT kids I'm not selling to the circus today...I LOVE to laugh (& smile often)...love to read & cook, hate to shop (unless the store is very small and doesn't leave me dazed and confused). I'm scared of flying so although I'd like to travel more, I don't.

I've been pleasantly surprised to find life in my 40s to be an amazing time of transformation & discovery--of self, others, creation and the Creator.

Here's a partial explanation for my Blog title. I think it'd be cool if they really existed.

A Pensieve is a stone basin.... [One] can extract his or her own memories and place them in the Pensieve, especially to relieve the mind when it becomes too flooded with information. Anyone can examine the memories in the Pensieve, which also allows viewers to fully immerse themselves in the memories stored within...

A Pensieve first appears in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire...

For the complete explanation, see
my 2/17/06 post.

My complete profile

Sometimes I'm the bad guy...
1,000 reasons to love blogging
GRRRRrrrrr...and WHY am I growling?????????
Parallel Universe
A SHOUT OUT to..............
Randomries
Cheeky got me again...
Don't miss this one!
I got nothin'..........
Power of Persuasion, revisited


A Perfect Post



Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Blogging Chicks []

September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
November 2007
January 2008



Header Design by:


Blog Design by:


Powered by: