Monday, August 28
Suggestions?
There is no doubt, I was made for chocolate, strawberry and vanilla. "31 flavors" is NOT a selling point. If you read this little ditty of mine, you already know if you give me more than three choices, I short circuit. Can't do it. It's why I DESPISE shopping in a department store...and why it took Tad and me a year to pick out a coffee table (I'm married to a man who has an opinion....)...and why I could NEVER build a house because, oh my word! you have to choose paint colors and textures, bathroom and lighting fixtures, cabinets--type, finish, hardware (can you sense the panic setting in?), flooring--hardwood? carpet? If so, plush or berber? Wait a second, you have to start with an exterior design and floor plan (hysteria is mounting).......AAAAGGGGGGGHHH! I gotta stop right now...building a house has nothing to do with this post!!

The lightning strike that got our garage the other day apparently zapped the phone and tv in our bedroom. I told you we were nearly shaken out of bed, I guess that wasn't an exaggeration. Electricity is an amazing beast, the path it chooses to maraud--our room is on the opposite end of the house UPSTAIRS, the farthest point away from the garage, and yet, those were the two places it hit. (I thought Tad was just particularly "sparky" that night;) ).

Have you been to Best Buy or Wal-Mart or Target lately and seen all the choices for freakin' telephones and televisions?! RI-DIC-U-LOUS!! My inclination is to skip it, fuggetaboutit! Who needs it...really? We have another phone, more than one tv, seems like enough to me. I'm a believer: "more" and "bigger" are not better!

Tad told me about something he heard the other day (not sure where)--when faced with the myriad of choices available in our country, consumers are not consuming (lol), they evidently shut down like me. Rather than make a choice, they do without. Looking into this a bit more, I found a book written on the subject, and a few stories from NPR aired in the past.

So, I need some help. We're looking into a laptop purchase, and I was wondering if y'all had any advice. Anyone have a MAC? I've never used one, but those who do seem to have a special love thang going on with 'em. This will be used primarily by me, no business application and I'm not about to let the kids game on it. Any thoughts to help narrow down the field before we go hunting?

Photo credit: All Posters

  Into the pensieve on Monday, August 28, 2006
  Your thoughts, please (9)


9 Comments:
At August 28, 2006, Blogger the lizness said...

I've never used a mac, but my friends tell me it is great for graphics, video, music, stuff like that. I love my gateway, love it love it love it.

 
At August 28, 2006, Blogger M J said...

If you are looking for a laptop, get one that is a "desktop replacement". It has all the oomph of a desktop computer in a portable package. Then it won't become a useless door stop for a bit longer than a regular laptop.

 
At August 28, 2006, Blogger Karmyn R said...

Can't help you with the computer -

so, what type of phone did you end up getting - or did you go without?

Speaking of myriad of choices - That is why the Brand Name is so important to companies: People go with what they know. When faced with a huge selection, do you choose that which is cheapest, or the best Brand Name? We learn from experience, that cheapest doesn't mean better (especially with electronic appliances).

 
At August 28, 2006, Blogger willowtree said...

scientific trivia. electricity takes the path of least resistance.

laptops, hmmmm not a great fan of them. all the components are proprietry and are designed for that specific model, which is expensive if repairs are required.

Macs have always been geared towards multi-media apps and their owners are almost evangelistic, bordering on cultish, but that doesn't make them great, just expensive.

MJ gave the best advice.

Just one more thing, if you are going to always use the same space to do your computing, get a desktop for half the price.

 
At August 29, 2006, Blogger Debs said...

I am that way, give me too many choices, I will do without. I like to a few choices, but I think too many times it is over done.

 
At August 29, 2006, Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

OK everyone has an opinion here and I am no exception...hehe

I just bought my laptop in December - if given the choice to do it again - it would have been a Dell! (and no not because people would go Duuuuude you gotta Dell....hehe)

I have an IBM Thinkpad.....but would switch it in a heartbeat if I could

 
At August 30, 2006, Blogger Mary said...

ROFL, I feel we are kindred spirits! I have the same problem... just a few weeks ago I actually broke out into a sweat in the dish section at Target. My husband and niece were about to lynch me baecause I asked their opinions and then proceded to change my mind 4 or 5 times. *rolls eyes*

Anyway, i have used both Mac and Pc, and my husband is a Mac Cultie (he works on PCs all day and despises them)... I would say that macs are more secure as far virus problems, and once you get into the swing of things, Macs are much easier to navigate. They are a bit pricier, but IMHO it's worth it. Whenever you purchase a Mac you get the latest OS for that model, with all the newest apps for that model (ie: newest macs, all the newest bells and whistles).With Pcs, you have to pay a lot of moolah for new apps, where as with Macs, like I said, they are included when you buy your new computer, more times than not.I really loved when I used the mac, the apps are pretty slick and VERY easy to use. Also, I noticed that system crashes are rare compared to PCs.

One the other hand, new software is hard to find for Macs sometimes. You might have to wait months for the Mac version, or they never make one.

Right now I am using a PC, mostly because I didn't want to have to wait for The Sis 2 to come out for Mac, which was almost a whole year later. Otherwise i would probably still be using a Mac.

 
At September 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dells suck...like all pc's. I was a pcer...but no more. If you don't blog on a mac...u don't blog.

 
At September 05, 2006, Blogger Robin said...

Y'all know how I am about choice, so thanks for the 4-1-1 :).

Agape, you look strangely familiar. Looks like you forgot the linkback though.........

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Please click the red pensieve...it's my current blogging spot!

My Photo Name:
Robin

Location:
10-a-c

Married to my college sweet-heart :)...three GREAT kids I'm not selling to the circus today...I LOVE to laugh (& smile often)...love to read & cook, hate to shop (unless the store is very small and doesn't leave me dazed and confused). I'm scared of flying so although I'd like to travel more, I don't.

I've been pleasantly surprised to find life in my 40s to be an amazing time of transformation & discovery--of self, others, creation and the Creator.

Here's a partial explanation for my Blog title. I think it'd be cool if they really existed.

A Pensieve is a stone basin.... [One] can extract his or her own memories and place them in the Pensieve, especially to relieve the mind when it becomes too flooded with information. Anyone can examine the memories in the Pensieve, which also allows viewers to fully immerse themselves in the memories stored within...

A Pensieve first appears in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire...

For the complete explanation, see
my 2/17/06 post.

My complete profile

Carnival Time
"Darned If We Do, Darned If We Don't"
Writing from the heart
Anyone else having technical difficulties?
One to make ya laugh, one to make ya cry
One way to get "us" going...!
A choice to make
Because I'm a geography whiz
O u c h...!
SoaP movie review


A Perfect Post



Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Blogging Chicks []

September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
November 2007
January 2008



Header Design by:


Blog Design by:


Powered by: