Wednesday, November 1
Unexpected Gifts
I'm a convoluted thinker. And sometimes I am certain think the world universe revolves around ME.

Take this morning. The first half of my day was pretty well ordered--based on the high-pitched squeal of my brakes, it was time to have them replaced. Following an early-morning appointment at the dealership immediately after school drop-off (coupon special, otherwise we NEVER go to the dealer for service), I was headed to my Wednesday morning study on Daniel (Bible prophecy blows my mind.....and honestly, I struggle with eschatology the study of end time events...); from there, picking up a fixture for our bathroom remodel and, most important of all, a 1/2-price candy binge at Targét.

For some reason, traffic was MISERABLE, somehow personifying the gray, drizzly, nondescript kind of day that attempts to smother the fire of Fall. It took us 20 minutes to go less than two miles, on a good day it should've taken us maybe five. The kids were on time for school, but I was about 15 late for my 8:00 a.m. appointment.

OF COURSE, I was frustrated. In my mind, 15 minutes late for a service appointment meant I'd be behind others who had later appointments, and my wait would go from one hours to two.

Instead, it turned out to be wonderfully providential. Had I been on time, I would've missed a moment of beauty...creation speaking...in a way that always, always stops me in my tracks.

A rainbow. Alpha to its omega, spectacularly complete. Were there a pot of gold at its end, I could've found it. In sections, there was a double bow, though this a quiet echo of the first. As I was rushing to my appointment, desperation looked right and left for a place to stop, to be still, to savor. Finally exiting the interstate, I was able to click a few shots with my cell, but it was already beginning to fade.

I didn't care about being late anymore. It didn't matter. Maybe it sounds silly, but when I see a rainbow, I see a signature of God, a seven-color brushstroke of His hand across a canvas of sky, and I'm amazed. I am always amazed. Sometimes I'm amazed that I'm still amazed when I've been seeing these for a lifetime. There have been multiple times I am convinced these are intentional gifts for ME--an assurance--like a father saying "Chile, I'm HERE! It's okay...it's gonna be O.K." and I believe it, 'cause it's my daddy, and he knows me and loves me and always tells me the truth, ya know? Today I'm not overly concerned about anything really, and still I'm reassured....

Ok......Blogger's not cooperating with photo uploads, so here it is w/tinypic...wish the quality was better, but at least you can see the entire arc if you squint your eyes and use lots of imagination :).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

  Into the pensieve on Wednesday, November 01, 2006
  Your thoughts, please (13)


13 Comments:
At November 01, 2006, Blogger Erin said...

I would be amazed when I STOPPED be amazed by God's love notes in Creation. That would mean something was very wrong with my soul.

Wonderful words! (I-say-with-many-hyphens-just-for-you
-you-tangly-brained-kind-of-person.)

 
At November 01, 2006, Blogger Robin said...

Erin.....I l i k e the way you write/talk/think :). Is there any difference???

Wow, these pictures are baaaaaaadd :( (compared to what I saw zipping down the road).

 
At November 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that rainbow was unbelievable! From Horizon to Horizon. It was the second best I've ever seen. The first was in Germany last year. We literally drove within feet of the start/end of this beautiful bright rainbow. No pot of Gold but definately a pleasant experience. Thanks for sharing-but the pictures don't do it justice as you know.

 
At November 01, 2006, Blogger LeftCoastOnlooker said...

fantastic!
the best I ever saw was over the Columbia River.
I completely agree with Erin, if I don't get amazed by how magnifical God's work is, I have a problem.

 
At November 01, 2006, Blogger Karmyn R said...

Love rainbows!!!! They amaze me everytime.

 
At November 01, 2006, Blogger Malissa said...

We love rainbows here too!

We see them in Sept the last couple years.

They are so beautiful. Of course we know the story behind them.

 
At November 02, 2006, Blogger Mary said...

I think the same thing! It's one positive thing I learned from my mother that I am passing down to my kids... God knew you would be there that day, and made that just for you! My 5 yr old has learned to not take sunsets and and beautiful clouds for granted, and we try to name all the colors that we see. She has learned to be thankful that she wasn't born blind and can enjoy them, and even knows what colors look like.

Rainbows are special, aren't they? I think that if we saw them all the time, they woulf lose their luster a bit. It's amazing how something so simple but beautiful can make us realize how blessed we are.

Being on time is cool, too... but not nearly as cool as seeing a rainbow. ;O)

 
At November 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

being in auto repair business myself I'm always glad to hear of other people doing nice things for their customers. 1. How old is your car? 2. Did the cleaning stop the squeaking? I wrote a post about brakes and repairing them. Perhaps do a few auto related posts a month to help "girls" understand how it works. After reading this I'm going to make a few changes and post next week.

rainbows.. I feel the same way. It's His Promise. I'm glad to hear someone else stopping along the side of the road to take a break and enjoy it.

 
At November 02, 2006, Blogger Erin said...

Uh, er, who, me?
Let me wipe the drool from my slack jaw to tell you that I write, talk and think all the same way. Rapid conversations with myself and God.
And anyone else that will listen. In the shower. Fixing breakfast. Tying my shoes. Making the bed.
I live in a house with three other soon-to-be-women, for crying out loud. The word count around here is like a faucet that just doesn't turn off... ever.

You're LUCKY there are spaces in between these words. (I do that as a courtesy to the human race.) You are also fortunate if you can catch my drift. I don't know how to type. Somedays I think I barely know how to string two words together. And the jury is still out on my mental capacity.

I think I need a California King-sized Pensieve.

 
At November 03, 2006, Blogger Robin said...

CR, so you saw it, too, eh? Didn't you wanna chase it? Thomas said he saw it at school :).

LCO, funny how we remember specific ones, huh? Like a magnificent work of art (guess that's what it is:) ).


Malissa, I debated linking to scripture, but decided not to. Sometimes when I do, it just feels "preachy", and somehow that would've disparaged the beauty of the moment I wrote about. It stood alone...not sure this comment is translating, but I sure hope you get what I mean :).

Mert, having read a little bit of your "story", I'm thankful that you're able to see some positive messages from your mom:). And that it's a legacy you can pass along to your children. I agree that there's unmatchable beauty in simplicity...when we take time to see it.

Vicki, to answer your questions, our car is new (two years old, newest one I've had since I was 16); I don't think I've heard the squeaking since they were cleaned (I was VERY suspect @ that, so I'm still listening, lol); Thanks for helping us "girls" understand the ins & outs of the business :).

There was another BEAUTIFUL rainbow (in SC) I distinctly remember about 4 years ago. It was during a time of personal turmoil and it had the same effect this one did. I was with my children at a Jack in the Box restaurant, and it was nice to see teenagers going outside to MARVEL at the spectacular show! They appreciated it, and on the surface, I woulda never thought they would (based on stereotyping their appearance). It was a GREAT lesson to me @ NOT judging books, you know?

Erin, I'm trying to imagine 3 girls...or worse, 3 boys--too much hormonally either way and I think you're TOAST!

When's your birthday? I'll send you the Venti Pensieve to unload all those swirling thoughts :).

 
At November 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robin, what a wonderful post :)...You know when I see a rainbow (which is often during the monsoon season here) I always remember God's covenant with us...

I did a Bible study on Daniel a few years back (although not from the wonderful and blessed Beth Moore - isn't she grant?). I think I get confused about end-times studies because of the different views church bodies have. So, now I just read my Bible about end-times and hopefully understand it one day. And when Jesus comes back before I die - I am gladly go with Him :)...

 
At November 05, 2006, Blogger CyberCelt said...

I love your writing!

"I see a signature of God, a seven-color brushstroke of His hand across a canvas of sky, and I'm amazed."

I will never look at rainbows the same way again.

Next week the Carnival of Blogging Chicks will be hosted at CoolAdzine. The theme will be HOLIDAYS MADE EASIER. Please send your submission to Eileen aka CyberCelt here: cybercelt [at] cooladz [dot] com

 
At November 07, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

That's cool, and yes, this is some good writing.

Hi Robin!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Please click the red pensieve...it's my current blogging spot!

My Photo Name:
Robin

Location:
10-a-c

Married to my college sweet-heart :)...three GREAT kids I'm not selling to the circus today...I LOVE to laugh (& smile often)...love to read & cook, hate to shop (unless the store is very small and doesn't leave me dazed and confused). I'm scared of flying so although I'd like to travel more, I don't.

I've been pleasantly surprised to find life in my 40s to be an amazing time of transformation & discovery--of self, others, creation and the Creator.

Here's a partial explanation for my Blog title. I think it'd be cool if they really existed.

A Pensieve is a stone basin.... [One] can extract his or her own memories and place them in the Pensieve, especially to relieve the mind when it becomes too flooded with information. Anyone can examine the memories in the Pensieve, which also allows viewers to fully immerse themselves in the memories stored within...

A Pensieve first appears in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire...

For the complete explanation, see
my 2/17/06 post.

My complete profile

Do you want someone to tell you if...
White and Nerdy
He Ain't Heavy...
Nailed
Discombobulated, Reason #2
Blogging Chicks Carnival--A Fall Feast of the Imag...
Discombobulated
Weighing in at 10.5 pounds....
fyi
The Hostest with the Mostest


A Perfect Post



Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Blogging Chicks []

September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
November 2007
January 2008



Header Design by:


Blog Design by:


Powered by: