Friday, March 3
Kay Arthur: "I was a ...
whore...!"

Shocking, huh? I was more than a bit surprised when she said it, and when there must've been a discernable audience reaction, she referenced the KJV of the Bible. Good ol' King James.....tellin' it like it is. "Impure", "immoral", "sexually immoral", "adulterers", "fornicators" just don't pack the same punch as "whore", "whoredom" and "whoremongers".

Kay spoke to our youth and I found myself judging her (without realizing it) before I heard her. The only other time I had heard Kay speak was when she gave a horrifyingly graphic account of the scourging of Jesus (it was as verbally explicit as Mel Gibson's The Passion was visually). I'm sure her presentation was accurate, but since this was my first exposure to her, I presumed a flair for the dramatic (many in the audience had tears streaming, my own daughter said, "I never want to hear that again.").

So, the morning she was scheduled to speak, I was curious more than anything. I don't remember expecting to "hear Christ" through her. I thought she'd "JesusSpeak" over the youth's heads, be anything but relevant, appear holier than thou, spoon feed the stuff they've heard over and over and OVER! Of course, these were not spoken thoughts, I wasn't even conscious of them. It was not until AFTER I heard her that I realized my misperceptions and learned more about myself than her.

Ummmmmm...I was wrong. Again.

She shared Christ and His message of redemption and forgiveness simply and succinctly, and in the process shared her personal testimony, that until then, I had never bothered to consider. Now 72 (unbelieveable, she looks and acts 20 years younger), she didn't come to a saving knowledge of Jesus until she was 29. Prior to that, she was married, divorced, sought the company of men for fulfillment, and perhaps other unsavory or salacious activities. That morning she spoke to the kids in a way that was relateable and applicable to THEM. She explained she could've chosen to wallow in her mistakes, become bitter for the hurt she had experienced in life, question why God had taken so long to reveal Himself to her. Instead, she acknowledged her place in history and basically embraced the role she has through the circumstances of her life--and how God has used them for her good, His glory, and the advancement of the gospel. (I feel like I've got to add a HUGE disclaimer--those are MY impressions of her from the morning, she spoke much more eloquently than my summary.) She has been forgiven...and so she is forgiving.

About me......I wonder when I'll get over myself! I'm actually grinning while I write this, I really am NOT a know-it-all. BUT, that being said, who did I think I was that I thought I couldn't learn something from this woman who has authored over 100 books and studies, and who is head of an international ministry????? I must be CRAZY! lol Why am I automatically suspicious of those in "lofty" places? I'm inwardly critical before I hear a word...I presume they revel in pedestal placement...that they're only in it for self glorification, or horrors, for money and power. "They" can be anyone in a ministry with broad exposure or with a book on the Christian "top ten". Ugh.....not very pretty. A friend of mine once said (quoting her father who was undoubtedly quoting someone else) "When Peter speaks of Paul, we learn more about Peter than Paul" (I think I just butchered that, hopefully you get the point). I wonder why I have an easier time seeing Christ in the "unknowns" in the Church, or even in nature, than I do in the "big names".

Sooooooo...I am left humbled at my own arrogance, ticked at how subtly pride sneaks into my heart...repentant, again. And VERY thankful God is l o n g s u f f e r i n g!

[OMW....I've resorted to tabloid blogging, LOL!! Posting a title just to get your attention. Hmmm, wonder if I'm the only one guilty of that (doubtful)].

  Into the pensieve on Friday, March 03, 2006
  Your thoughts, please (6)


6 Comments:
At March 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Because, my friend, we are such kindred spirits, is why I miss you so! Loved reading your blog.

 
At March 04, 2006, Blogger Robin said...

Didja see how much I REALLY do think of you, mon amie?? "You" are "here" in the midst.....hope you return often & dive in w/a few thoughts of your own. We BOTH know you think 'em, even if you don't share 'em;)

So now you know what a blog is...even if you still don't get 'em!

love you much!

 
At March 06, 2006, Blogger Robin said...

Hmmmm...I've been edited....

 
At October 09, 2006, Blogger Malissa said...

I think that's great you got to hear her in person. She looks fabulous!

I learn so much from her books.

 
At October 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never read her. Tell me more?
I'll check out the link to her ministry

 
At March 26, 2013, Anonymous gutscheine zum ausdrucken said...

sehr guter Kommentar

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Please click the red pensieve...it's my current blogging spot!

My Photo Name:
Robin

Location:
10-a-c

Married to my college sweet-heart :)...three GREAT kids I'm not selling to the circus today...I LOVE to laugh (& smile often)...love to read & cook, hate to shop (unless the store is very small and doesn't leave me dazed and confused). I'm scared of flying so although I'd like to travel more, I don't.

I've been pleasantly surprised to find life in my 40s to be an amazing time of transformation & discovery--of self, others, creation and the Creator.

Here's a partial explanation for my Blog title. I think it'd be cool if they really existed.

A Pensieve is a stone basin.... [One] can extract his or her own memories and place them in the Pensieve, especially to relieve the mind when it becomes too flooded with information. Anyone can examine the memories in the Pensieve, which also allows viewers to fully immerse themselves in the memories stored within...

A Pensieve first appears in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire...

For the complete explanation, see
my 2/17/06 post.

My complete profile

Happy Birthday Baby......
I lost my cool in the `90s....
I'm writing...
Why "Pensieve"?
A GREAT Valentine's Day
The Snow Gods DO Hate ME!!!!
Any guesses why I'm smilin'? Nothing stuck, but a...
Stupid weatherman.......
What 12 would you choose?
I call him "Hero"


A Perfect Post



Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Blogging Chicks []

September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
November 2007
January 2008



Header Design by:


Blog Design by:


Powered by: