Wednesday, February 15
A GREAT Valentine's Day
Right now I have a huge crush on my family...I love it when I feel this gushy. Last night was special, different. I think we did something my children will remember much longer than they'd recall cards or candy.

We had dinner in our dining room and used our fine china, crystal and sterling. The kids were excited--usually we just use that stuff with company, and they're usually in the kitchen "with the kids". I dunno, during the day I just thought, "What can I do to make this day special?" and so, this is what I came up with. I KNOW my children were into it, because Rachel (with Stephen's "help") made beautiful name cards for each of us.

One of those things I treasured in my heart was our conversation as we finished eating. Several years ago Rachel and I visited American Girls Place in Chicago; among the souveniers we brought home was a "Conversation Starter Box"--an adorable black box with white polka dots and a hot pink bow. In it are slips of paper with random questions; the point is to draw one from the box and answer the question. We've used this with friends and family in the past, and although some are resistant at first, usually everyone has fun with it in the end.

Stephen asked if we could "do the conversation box", so keepin' in flow with the evening, we got it out. It went around the table twice, they wanted to go three times, but it was getting late, so we stopped at two.

Two questions stood out to me (we all usually answer the ones each other draws): First, I think I drew on the second round "What is one thing you would like to change about your personality." These were all our answers--Me (that I would be more organized and neater about our home); Rachel (she would be less "embarrassed" about things most people don't get embarrassed about--she'd KILL me if I gave examples!); Thomas (his short fuse, I think he said "anger management issues"--an 11 year old! lol); Stephen (that he'd be less picky--for instance, he ate salad, a roll, maybe some fettucine--without the sauce!--but did NOT eat a WONDERFUL ribeye steak last night!); and Tad (that he'd like to read more).

This is the thing about all that....if there were things I'd change about my family, these are are some of the things I'd like to change. And here's my point--we (no, I) can be so easily critical of others, want to change them. But often, the very things we (I) want to change are things others really would like to change in themselves. We (I) don't need to be harsh on them...we are probably our own greatest enemy, plagued with self-loathing about the qualities we don't like in ourselves. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't think my kids or Tad "hate" themselves over the things they'd like to see different in themselves, I just thought it was interesting that they already struggle? wrestle with? acknowledge and understand? the things I might find fault with. Right then and there I decided to be more forgiving with their personality traits I'd like to change, and pray for them toward that end instead. (This is perhaps the most poorly constructed paragraph I've ever written, I hope SOME of what I'm saying makes sense! :) ).

The second thing I think I'll treasure about the evening is the new names Rachel and the boys came up with for us in response to one of her questions--Say hello to Renaldo, Millicent, Beatrice, Henry and Theodore (formerly Tad, Robin, Rachel, Thomas and Stephen). There were a lot of laughs while they came up with this, and I have no idea why or how they settled on those names...they're just funny.

  Into the pensieve on Wednesday, February 15, 2006
  Your thoughts, please (4)


4 Comments:
At February 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mom, Millicent, Me-maw (whatever name you pefer),
I LOVE your blog! (Well, the parts I've seen.) Thanks for including my "names" in the special Valentine dinner (which, by the way, I thought was so cool; I had a delightful time.) :) I love you soooooooooooooo much! You're the best mom in the world!

Love, your daughter,
Beatrice ;)

 
At October 09, 2006, Blogger Malissa said...

This sounds like a wonderful evening.

I think Rachel must be the daughter's name;0
but I have a sister Rachel and a Grandmother Beatrice;)

Hmmm maybe we're related?

 
At October 12, 2006, Blogger Pamela said...

That idea might be fun for a home group common meal....

Thanks!

 
At October 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great idea!
With each new group of 3rd graders we get, we make a cube & they can write anything on each side of it, so that when their family rolls it at the dinner table, they use the up-side for a conversation starter.
What did you learn in school, SS., etc.?
A Memory from childhood...
The kids really get into it & come back talking about dinner conversations.
A few moms mention it every time we do it & some families make their own conversation cubes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Please click the red pensieve...it's my current blogging spot!

My Photo Name:
Robin

Location:
10-a-c

Married to my college sweet-heart :)...three GREAT kids I'm not selling to the circus today...I LOVE to laugh (& smile often)...love to read & cook, hate to shop (unless the store is very small and doesn't leave me dazed and confused). I'm scared of flying so although I'd like to travel more, I don't.

I've been pleasantly surprised to find life in my 40s to be an amazing time of transformation & discovery--of self, others, creation and the Creator.

Here's a partial explanation for my Blog title. I think it'd be cool if they really existed.

A Pensieve is a stone basin.... [One] can extract his or her own memories and place them in the Pensieve, especially to relieve the mind when it becomes too flooded with information. Anyone can examine the memories in the Pensieve, which also allows viewers to fully immerse themselves in the memories stored within...

A Pensieve first appears in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire...

For the complete explanation, see
my 2/17/06 post.

My complete profile

The Snow Gods DO Hate ME!!!!
Any guesses why I'm smilin'? Nothing stuck, but a...
Stupid weatherman.......
What 12 would you choose?
I call him "Hero"
All American Rejects....and Bonhoeffer?!
I love it when I'm wrong
Guilty pleasures........
Death, my friend, is evidence of life LIVED. The ...
What in the "HA-EL" is in THAT jar???


A Perfect Post



Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Blogging Chicks []

September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
November 2007
January 2008



Header Design by:


Blog Design by:


Powered by: