Tuesday, June 27
Really, I'm TRYING to be open-minded (aka giving the hardcore emo-screamo genre a chance...)
note added 7/11/06--Looking for Salmarnir lyrics? Check out the comments :)


Why would I, a 40-something mom, even go there?

Well, 1) my 12-year-old son just got an iPod and mentioned wanting to download something from Underoath, and 2) I happened to get this email about the same time (you gotta click that second link for this to make sense).

After reading the review from Christianity Today, I have to say, I was intrigued and open to something new. So, I listened. To ALL 11 music clips.

Oh, my.

My first response was just to LAUGH! I soooooo didn't get it. The random musings that occurred to me, in no particular order are....

-- The audience for hardcore emo-screamo has GOT to be predominantly BOYS. Or grown men chasing their youth. The intensity and passion is nothing short of a testosterone release!

-- I would LOVELOVELOVE to see what it looks like (sounds like?) when they "boldly proclaim Christ from onstage"! Then again, I'd have to wear ear plugs for the remainder of the concert.

-- Just listening to the music conjured images of some mighty fine moshing and crowd surfing. Heck, it's why they were invented.

-- I can't imagine how long a lead "singer's" (should that be "lead screamer's"?) voice could last night after night of this stuff. They must have an excellent relationship with their ENT.

-- Thank goodness for Google lyrics search...I couldn't understand a single word otherwise.

-- At first I thought I was hearing the same song over and over but with a different title...it was nice to see some diversity with Casting Such a Thin Shadow and To Whom it May Concern...I heard the talent spoken of in the review. Salmarnir** also showcased a softer side, but I have no idea what they were saying and couldn't find the lyrics on that one.

-- Their lyrics weren't negative, but I had to use a little creativity to see Christ in 'em.

Thomas also wanted to download AFI's Miss Murder. SOMEHOW, and I have no idea how, I had seen their performance on the MTV awards. Ummm, I didn't even watch the MTV awards, but I must have been channel surfing and caught them. I kinda liked the song, but of course, during their performance, I couldn't understand a word they sang. Well, before I let Thom download it, we listened to a clip...and I liked it again...until I downloaded the lyrics, too! Good grief, Charlie Brown, IT WAS ABOUT FREAKIN' SUICIDE! Painting it as a thing of beauty. I took a look at the rest of the stuff on the album, and all of it was dark and death-riddled. The contrast made Underoath look like a band of powderpuffs. (Before you get smart with me, no it didn't occur to me that "murder" in the title was so ominous...)

And, THAT, my friends, is where I draw the line at open-mindedness. I once read if you're too open minded your brains might fall out. I think that would be evident--and I would've had to turn in my parenting credentials--if I let Thomas listen to that crap (and, for the record, I let him look at the AFI stuff I found and he actually agreed :); that, after initially being ticked at me for not letting him download it...).

** If you check out the Comments, you'll see "Salmarnir" is Psalm 50 spoken in Russian...cool, huh?

  Into the pensieve on Tuesday, June 27, 2006
  Your thoughts, please (8)


8 Comments:
At June 29, 2006, Blogger Karmyn R said...

That's crazy - especially since I just read in the paper about this EMO type music....I had never even heard the word until yesterday...

Sounds like what Goth was when I was in high school - not good for teenagers already in angst....

I agree with you - all parents should be tuned into their children's music - parental censorship is okay in my book!

 
At June 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree for the most part about afi... "goth" and "death" are definately some words that come to mind, but with underoath, while understanding them to be a christian band i would have expected you to be a little more open-minded. if you dont want your brains to fall out, TURN THE VOLUME DOWN!
ps: in salmarnir, the band had a friend read psalm 50 in russian. salmarnir is russian for psalm. thats probably why you couldnt understand it but if you want the words, i suggest you look it up in the bible. i say that with all respect, ms. d...

 
At June 30, 2006, Blogger Robin said...

ZAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCC! How much do I LOVE that you not only read, but POSTED :). Who cares that it was a respectful dis? The brains falling out thing was about afi, not uo...uo I could live with, but that doesn't mean I get 'em. THANKS for the salmarnir explanation, very cool. I just read the 50th psalm and that's an interesting choice.

Guys, zac is a 13?14? yr old friend (HE'S IN THE MYSPACE VIDEO BY ELEVENTYSEVN--IF Y'ALL LOOK BACK A FEW WEEKS...GO CLICK ON MY LINK!) and right about now, I think he's pretty awesome. Ok, I did before the post, but now he's got a double-shot of lovin'.

 
At July 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Robin--

Parental censorship must be handled with extreme care. Teenagers, especially boys, are rebellious, and should be-- it's the only way they know to get out from under their parents' wing.

In many cases, they choose music BECAUSE it pisses you off. If you choose not to be offended, they have to look elsewhere to rebel, hopefully somewhere that won't erode their sense of aesthetics the way bad pop music will.

We found the key was to CREATE issues to confront the boy with. Make him rebel on YOUR terms. And let him. Don't wanna raise no momma's boy.

Best of luck... and if emo makes you sick, wait until he discover gangsta rap!

Mikey

 
At July 10, 2006, Blogger Robin said...

Mikey,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. You've raised some questions for me, though (I hope you check back in since I can't check you ;) ). Did you intend to imply I SHOULD be offended (or at least fake it) in order for him to find satisfaction in music "rebellion"? I'm more curious about the type issues you created to "force" him to rebel on your terms. Actually sounds like good parenting to me, to be able to have the foresight to kinda-sorta orchestrate the whole thing (and they think we don't have a clue). Just having turned 12, Thom isn't truly rebellious yet, he's testing the waters. I agree, too, that it's just part of the process...allowing him the freedom to make decisions...to think through the consequences of his actions (y e a h, r i g h t...like THAT'S gonna happen more often than not).

Anyway, glad you dropped by, curious how you found me/this post. You don't sound like a Bloggin' Chick :).

 
At September 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Underoath is spot on...i've struggled w/ them...but in the end, I "get it"...love the song, "some will seek forgiveness"

 
At October 12, 2006, Blogger Malissa said...

what a good mom you are to listen before you say yes:)

 
At October 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robin, I completely agree with the way you checked it out & showed him what you found - you didn't just say "no" w/ no explanation.
Teaching him how to make decisions will serve him far better in the long run (choices, being a man, being a parent, accountability), than orchestrating rebellion.

just my opinion: (you know the whole give a man a fish / teach a man to fish) let a kid rebel, you let him choose today; teach a kid to choose, you impact his future. I think you're the kind of mom who wants to impact (your post about the people who have influenced you).

kinda wish mikey would have come back to explain his rebellion orchestration (wonder what that sounds like?)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Please click the red pensieve...it's my current blogging spot!

My Photo Name:
Robin

Location:
10-a-c

Married to my college sweet-heart :)...three GREAT kids I'm not selling to the circus today...I LOVE to laugh (& smile often)...love to read & cook, hate to shop (unless the store is very small and doesn't leave me dazed and confused). I'm scared of flying so although I'd like to travel more, I don't.

I've been pleasantly surprised to find life in my 40s to be an amazing time of transformation & discovery--of self, others, creation and the Creator.

Here's a partial explanation for my Blog title. I think it'd be cool if they really existed.

A Pensieve is a stone basin.... [One] can extract his or her own memories and place them in the Pensieve, especially to relieve the mind when it becomes too flooded with information. Anyone can examine the memories in the Pensieve, which also allows viewers to fully immerse themselves in the memories stored within...

A Pensieve first appears in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire...

For the complete explanation, see
my 2/17/06 post.

My complete profile

I almost missed this...
One for the Daddys out there......
Only of interest to those who actually know her...
A different kind of Father's Day
Home Invasion
Rest In Peace
GOTCHA!
Nectar of the gods.....
While the cat's away, the mice will play
I'll be back...


A Perfect Post



Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Blogging Chicks []

September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
November 2007
January 2008



Header Design by:


Blog Design by:


Powered by: