Thursday, July 13
Rediscovering a long, lost love
As a child I was a voracious reader, so much so, I can remember my father being concerned I read TOO much (I think he envisioned a very mousy, bun-coiffed librarian who peered over granny glasses constantly "shushing" the children). One of my favorite winter memories is sitting on top of the floor heating grates in our house, swaddled in a scratchy, woolen, rose-colored blanket, a slowly-melting bowl of chocolate ice cream in hand, with a new Nancy Drew in my lap. I'm smiling as I write this because I can still see and smell and feel and almost taste this recollection. Oh, and I was partially hidden because this cozy spot was behind a chair in a corner of our den.

How much do I love that my daughter is much the same? I often say she's never met a book she didn't like, and she has read hundreds of thousands of pages, I really don't think that's an exaggeration. Barely into her teen years, she has an over 200-volume library, and she's fastidious about their care (ummm, I'm doing my best to ensure she doesn't become anal or o/c about this...so far, so good). (Warning: gushing mom alert) She broke the Accelerated Reader record at her school, earning over 750 points; and get this, she didn't even test on everything she read because she "didn't need to". We don't share the same concern my father did because she does have other interests, and as she gets older, school and those interests demand more of her time.

But, gee, this post isn't about her, lol, guess that's me in typical form--digressing.

Since I'm digressing, I have to say, I LOVELOVELOVE MaryEngelbreit's art, featured here. With a stroke of her brush, she captures the affections and passions of those souls who are truly friends with their books.

Somewhere along the way, I guess during my college years, "reading to learn" took precedence over reading for pleasure. Except for the trashy summer novels I devoured, which were probably limited anyway, due to the trashy magazines which occupied time and space. And then I graduated and started working...got married...continued working...and had babies. In the midst of all that, I think I just gave up. I still managed a summer read or two, and maybe about the same number over the course of the rest of the year. I really don't remember why. Maybe it was back to "reading to learn"...you know, all those parenting resources available to us. Oh, yeah, and there were the Bible studies. Guess all that IS "reading", even good and worthy, but it's just not the same. If you're a blogger, you like the written word as much as I do, so I'm sure y'all know what I mean.

Since we moved to 10-afreakin-C, let's just say there weren't as many demands on my time. I guess in large part because I was no longer juggling three very-part-time jobs (two of which involved writing), my children were older, therefore more self-sufficient, and I guess the biggie, I didn't have a life here yet.

And slowly, it occurred to me I had the time to read again. At first, I kind of felt guilty about it, like I should be doing something else (ummm, some of the time, I SHOULDA been doing something else). But, wow...after having gone without it for so long, I sooo appreciate it now. Something simple, taken for granted, but rediscovered and now viewed in a different light.

A big surprise has been my newfound enjoyment of non-fiction. Perhaps because I don't have to read it, I'm able to relish it. Another HUGE unexpected turn (and DELIGHT) has been the husband's developing interest in reading. HE is the guy who prided himself in NEVER taking a book home his senior year in highschool, and still making all A's (I think....). Reading the newspaper or Sports Illustrated was about as long as his attention span would allow. Now, one of our favorite outings as a family is to hit Barnes & Noble, settle in with a CARAMEL MACHIATO and something new (or new to us, anyway)! Tad has actually begun to recognize the authors who borrow from each other ;).

Our Kiawah trip was great in part because I started--and FINISHED--three books: one fiction, one non-fiction and a biography. That, in addition to reading the gospels of Mark and John (and part of Luke...my "plan" was to read all four), several chapters in Love and Respect and beginning Raising a Modern-Day Knight. A lot of the reading time was in the car, it is a seven-hour ride :) (thanks to Tad for not seeming to mind me not talking quite so much :D).

Gotta close with a mini-review of Father Joe, can't believe I've let it sit on the shelf for close to two years! An old friend convincingly recommended it back then, and when I saw it at our favorite used bookstore for four bucks, it was mine! But, because it wasn't the only find that day, it went to the bottom of the stack. It caught my eye again when I was making my beach selections...and...wow...I'm glad it did.

Can you visualize sitting down for a meal just because it was time to eat, and as you took the first bite, you realized you were absolutely and unexpectedly ravenous...and on top of that, you weren't just eating chicken du jour, instead there was a banquet before you overflowing with every delicacy imaginable...? THAT, was Father Joe. I devoured it but wish I had taken time to savor it. Author Tony Hendra is a brilliant writer; this is a guy who won a partial scholarship to Cambridge by "accident". By page 28, there were so many words I didn't know, I started writing them down. Forty-eight of them (I mean really, carapace? alacrity? plastial? scrofulous? sozzled? morganatic? meretricious? abattoir? hehe, I made up one in the list just so I could bamboozle the highbrows who claim to know 'em all--without cheating, can you pick the word that's not a word?).

The thing is, the prose rolled off of Hendra's pen like mercury in your palm, smoothly and beautifully, and the fact I didn't know every tenth word didn't matter. His was a moving tribute to Joseph Warrillow, a Benedictine monk who altered the course of his life. Father Joe was Love Incarnate; he was the kind of "Christian" I'd like to be. Hendra's power of recall demonstrate the effect of their relationship in his life, Joe's words brought hope and healing to a wounded soul. The power was not in Father Joe's words, it was vested in Joe's own love and devotion to God, which seeped out and covered those in Joe's presence. Tony Hendra's lifestyle, sometimes more so than others, would be easy for some to condemn; through the eyes of Father Joe his is a poignant story of love and redemption. I joined them with tears in my own eyes as they offered what both knew would be their final good-byes.

Man, it was good...and as I look back up at ME's poster, I agree with her--"A book IS a present you can open again and again".

  Into the pensieve on Thursday, July 13, 2006
  Your thoughts, please (7)


7 Comments:
At July 13, 2006, Blogger Emily said...

I enjoyed your post.

Even though we moved around a good amount while I was growing up, we always knew where the library was. We would check out as many books as they would let us.

We would read during meals, and during drives, and during all sorts of things.

We loved reading. I sometimes get busy with life and don't read as much as I would like to, but I am always in the middle of something.

That's something that I got from my mother that I'm really grateful for: a love of reading.

 
At July 14, 2006, Blogger Karmyn R said...

I LOVE to read - anything I can get my hands on - I will leave a house messy and ignore my children in the middle of a good page-turner.

And, it is one habit I'm glad to instill in my children! Both of them are book lovers already! Can't get any better than a good book.

I'm guessing - but is your madeup word: Morganatic? Just a guess. I only knew 1 on that list. alacrity.

 
At July 15, 2006, Blogger Robin said...

Welcome Dimmi, glad you found me. The influence of your mom lasts a lifetime...so thankful when that influence is good. Reading "during all sorts of things" reminds me of my son and his library of Calvin & Hobbes & Foxtrot books in the BR.

Karmyn, I knew you were a reader...kindred in that regard. And yeah, I can see your (and a bit of my own) influence on our kids as they pick up the habit.

Nope...nice guess, though.

 
At July 18, 2006, Blogger Chaos-Jamie said...

I have that reading memory also, though my blanket was blue and not so scratchy (but still 80s, so not particularly soft).

 
At August 03, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi--I finally got to come check this out. I think it's great to rediscover. I also have gone times without reading and have sort of recently dug right in again as well. I read fiction (much more quickly) and usually have several nonfiction reads going at a time.

And, as long as we are bragging about daughters, mine also follows in my footsteps. She had read over 1000 pages in one month. . . .She'll start 3rd grade in August.

 
At October 12, 2006, Blogger Malissa said...

I love reading! I love ME too:) she's a great artist.

I just picked up some novels today at the library. I get sucked up in Bible studies (good) parenting books (good), business books (boring but necessary) and don't read for fun.
I find reading for fun to be a great stress release:)

 
At October 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sitting here, surrounded by books, on all 4 sides. I love everything about books, just went to a book sale this morning :)
I love ME's book posters, especially.

I have really appreciated Love & Respect -- there were things in there that made me say, "I guess I really never realized that"

and, congrats on the AR points!!!!!!!!! how exciting

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Please click the red pensieve...it's my current blogging spot!

My Photo Name:
Robin

Location:
10-a-c

Married to my college sweet-heart :)...three GREAT kids I'm not selling to the circus today...I LOVE to laugh (& smile often)...love to read & cook, hate to shop (unless the store is very small and doesn't leave me dazed and confused). I'm scared of flying so although I'd like to travel more, I don't.

I've been pleasantly surprised to find life in my 40s to be an amazing time of transformation & discovery--of self, others, creation and the Creator.

Here's a partial explanation for my Blog title. I think it'd be cool if they really existed.

A Pensieve is a stone basin.... [One] can extract his or her own memories and place them in the Pensieve, especially to relieve the mind when it becomes too flooded with information. Anyone can examine the memories in the Pensieve, which also allows viewers to fully immerse themselves in the memories stored within...

A Pensieve first appears in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire...

For the complete explanation, see
my 2/17/06 post.

My complete profile

Tag! I'm IT!
I'm probably the only person who thinks this, but...
I admit it...I am FRUSTRATED!
My head musta been in the sand
Celebrate the Fourth with some of your favorite ch...
Why am I smiling?
To drink or not to drink?
This was fun(ny)
Really, I'm TRYING to be open-minded (aka giving t...
I almost missed this...


A Perfect Post



Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Blogging Chicks []

September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
November 2007
January 2008



Header Design by:


Blog Design by:


Powered by: