Sunday, August 20
SoaP movie review
Consider this a Public Service Announcement. Walk away from the light! Ignore the buzz!! You already know everything you need to know. Wanna see some slithering serpents? Go to your nearby aquarium or the zoo. It'll be a better show for the time and money.

The short answer is yes, it was about snakes on a plane. Lots of 'em. Mean muthas, they were, indiscriminate in their attack. Except they seemed (at least initially) to feast on the female or male anatomy that made their victims decidedly male or female.

The movie had a PG-13 rating, but evidently, post production they went back and added a few scenes to rev it up to an R. It deserved the "R", but I woulda preferred the PG version. No question about the added scenes: [1] A predictable "mile high" clip:/. This young & restless couple were the first to "meet" the snakes. They never made it out of the bathroom. [2] Samuel Jackson had THE line of the movie. For the profane-weak-of-heart, that should be enough to keep you from the film. For everyone else, whether you see it or not, you'll eventually hear it. Personally, I think anyone would be screaming what he did after a couple of hours 35,000 feet in the air, confined in a tin can with cobras & vipers & pythons, oh, my!

But this is what floors me more than the movie itself. There was a six-year-old kid in front of me, and a ten-year-old behind me. THAT is insane!!! WHAT were their parents thinking? I mean IT WAS RATED R!! That means sex/violence/language. This movie had all three! I wondered if the opening scene was added after the fact, because although it didn't show direct contact, you begin by seeing a bloody-faced man, hanging upside down after being thrown off a bridge. The next scene is the assassin wielding a baseball bat, apparently mistaking the man as a pinata. Mr. Assasin ends up with the "pinata""contents" all over his suit. If the snakes didn't drum up enough nightmares for these two kids, that opening scene should conjure up a few.

It was kinda campy...there were stereotypical characters you wanted to get venomed, predictable heros, and humor interjected throughout.

Bottom line is it delivered exactly what it promised....why I felt the need to go is beyond me.

  Into the pensieve on Sunday, August 20, 2006
  Your thoughts, please (13)


13 Comments:
At August 20, 2006, Blogger willowtree said...

Thanks for the warning, but I had/have no intention of seeing it (even at home).

 
At August 21, 2006, Blogger Pamela said...

No. Neither me.
I had enough about snakes when I was reading MJ's review on Kevin Federling.



(ref your movie review, did you give it one bag of popcorn or less?)

 
At August 21, 2006, Blogger Debs said...

I can't believe some parents today, letting their kids just watch anything. So sad.

Love your blog and have visted most of the links you have posted. :) I have read a couple of books by John Piper.

 
At August 21, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

Having a phobia of snakes, even reading this post gives me the hibby-gibbies (I'm not really sure how to spell that).
When my now husband was making me dinner for the first time at his house, I flipped through a coffee table book he purchased on his recent Africa trip. When hearing me scream, he came in the living room from the kitchen in time to see me standing on his couch with the book flying across the room. Reaction to a picture of a snake slithering next to a kitten.
Another incident, my roommate was showing me pictures. One contained a snake. I inadvertantly threw what I was holding at her and lept over the couch to the other side of the room.
Okay, I have typed the word too much and thought about the subject too long. My legs are tucked under me, and I'm afraid to leave the couch.

 
At August 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robin, Robin, Robin.....what are we going to do with you???? A rated "R" movie....your passport has little room for more stamps!! hee hee

 
At August 21, 2006, Blogger Susan in va said...

If I know ahead of time that a movie will feature snakes or spiders, I usually try to avoid it. But I will NEVER understand why parents allow their children to go to R-rated movies! It really infuriates me.

 
At August 21, 2006, Blogger Karmyn R said...

SSSsimply asssstonisssshing!

I went tothe movies this weekend and my choices were "Snakes on a Plane", "Descent", some ghost movie, and "Barnyard". Can you guess which one I took MY kid to?

So, did you enjoy the movie? hee hee

 
At August 21, 2006, Blogger Chilihead2 said...

Isn't it amazing what parents will let their kids see? We saw Wedding Crashers (just campy and hilarious) and there were a bunch of families there! Hello? Mucho sex anyone?

 
At August 21, 2006, Blogger Robin said...

Heather...sow-ry...I'll never, ever write about snakes again! Can't have blogaphobia at Pensieve!

Moooooo to Karmyn :). I don't think it's the kinda movie you actually "enjoy"... It entertained, but somehow I felt like I needed a shower after watching it.......... Thomas asked me the pointed question, "Was it a waste of money?" Yesterday I couldn't answer him; today I'd say yes...and no (I might post about the "no" part soon).

 
At August 21, 2006, Blogger Robin said...

Hey Chilihead...me likey these reciprocal visits...I'm scratchin' your back, and you got mine just in the right place. Love the family photo :D (Cheese!) Welcome, newbie...shop again, shop often!

 
At August 21, 2006, Blogger M J said...

I am strangely drawn to this movie and will probably see it, despite my better judgement.

 
At August 23, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

(obviously I am catching up as I leave comment, after comment, after comment)--To me, "Snakes on a Plane" seems a perfect 12 year old boy movie. Why go for the R rating? Why not stick with the PG13?? All of that really bugs me. I rarely see an R movie anymore because I get fed up by the language or sex or whatever. Some perfectly good movies have been ruined because of what they have tried to include to bump up the rating. Whatever.

 
At August 24, 2006, Blogger michele said...

Too bad it stunk, it sounded like you really wanted to like it. I hate when that happens, when you really look forward to a movie and they really mess it up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Please click the red pensieve...it's my current blogging spot!

My Photo Name:
Robin

Location:
10-a-c

Married to my college sweet-heart :)...three GREAT kids I'm not selling to the circus today...I LOVE to laugh (& smile often)...love to read & cook, hate to shop (unless the store is very small and doesn't leave me dazed and confused). I'm scared of flying so although I'd like to travel more, I don't.

I've been pleasantly surprised to find life in my 40s to be an amazing time of transformation & discovery--of self, others, creation and the Creator.

Here's a partial explanation for my Blog title. I think it'd be cool if they really existed.

A Pensieve is a stone basin.... [One] can extract his or her own memories and place them in the Pensieve, especially to relieve the mind when it becomes too flooded with information. Anyone can examine the memories in the Pensieve, which also allows viewers to fully immerse themselves in the memories stored within...

A Pensieve first appears in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire...

For the complete explanation, see
my 2/17/06 post.

My complete profile

More Thomas-isms
Snakes on a Plane
Say "hello" to Chas......
Surprise!
Dubious honor
It might not be "all about me", but I'm definitely...
In my mind's eye I'm a child again...
If the SBC had only known...
Happy Household
It's that time again.....


A Perfect Post



Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Blogging Chicks []

September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
November 2007
January 2008



Header Design by:


Blog Design by:


Powered by: