Sunday, October 29
Discombobulated, Reason #2
I am living out of a suitcase. In my home. I can't find things. In my home. I had to use my kids' strawberry all-in-one shampoo/conditioner, and that made my skin crawl, not so much the "strawberry" part, but for some reason, those shampoo/conditioners are an anathema to me. Kind of like peanut butter and jelly swirled in a jar or cheese that squirts out of a can--some things just shouldn't ought to be, regardless of convenience.

We're having our circa-1980 bathroom remodeled and it has me in a tizz. (oooo, that word was FUN to write! Although I've said it for a lifetime, that was the first time I ever wrote it :) ). When we bought this house three years ago, we were thrilled to have a h u g e master bathroom; in our previous house, the bathroom was slightly larger than the size of a telephone booth. I'm not kidding, when you were sittin' on the throne, your knees were crammed against the wall (I'm not sure Tad used our bathroom for serious "business"). The shower was proportionally bigger, but again, in our new house the bathroom is generous. Interestingly, the shower was tiny, you could barely turn around in it, which has always been odd to me because 1) the people who lived here previously were, ummm, bigger than me and 2) have I mentioned the bathroom itself is B I G?? Tiny shower + wide open spaces, has NEVER added up to me.

Anyway, since we've decided we're staying in Tennessee a bit longer (wink, wink), we're doing what we've wanted to do since taking our first shower--we Tad ripped that sucker out (it's in pieces on my front porch, under our house somewhere, at the dump....) and hard work (his) never felt better. Why stop there? he also tore out our existing cabinets, and they, too, are in pieces in our garage, on the side porch, in the neighbor's yard...I'm not sure where all the bones are buried.

We do have new cabinets that arrived with only a few flaws (holes for the shelves were missing in one :/), and the shower is about halfway through the process. I keep standing in the frame and pretending to shave my legs (if you saw Willowtree's post/picture, you know I NEED to), and my backside isn't touching the glass (if there was any) of the opposite wall--waahoo! Exciting times are a'coming.

BUT...until then...I'm using my kids' bathroom and toting my "necessities" in an overnight bag. That's fine for a weekend, or even a week, but I guess I'm just missing everything having a spot. Take it out, put it away, take it out put it away. I haven't tweezed my eyebrows in a few weeks now and I think Helga's unibrow is beginning to find its way to my place :/.

Oh, yeah, and there's that "using someone else's shower" thing. Just a change of venue gives you a new perspective and opens your eyes in ways they had been previously (mercifully) veiled. Stepping out of their shower, you HAVE to see yourself in a large mirror. Ugh..... I could've kept the tiny shower to have avoided that :/. It is not wise at my age to give up exercise, no matter how minimally I was doing it. Now, I can see the difference although my jeans have been trying to squeeze this information into my mind for weeks. I ignored them, I cannot ignore the mirror.

So there ya go, Reason #2 I ain't quite right these days, I'm sure I could write about a dozen more, but I really don't wanna scare you away. Even if Halloween is just around the corner :).

  Into the pensieve on Sunday, October 29, 2006
  Your thoughts, please (6)


6 Comments:
At October 29, 2006, Blogger Mary said...

I can tell you are discombobulated, this post has a twin right beneath it. :D Just kidding... but seriously ;)

I have the same problem, we have been working on my bathroom for about 5 months... nothing extensive but we still don't have a sink. I mean , we have one but it's not installed. Nothing like having to brush your teeth in the kitchen sink, or better yet- in the bath tub. Why, you might ask, 5 months? Whats holding us up? We had the walls retextured 2 months ago and we haven't primed or painted yet. Yup, that's why. We figured why hook the sink up, we are gong to have it painted in a week (1 month and 3 weeks ago).

We are knee deep in every day life, and other times just plain lazy, usually each of us in front of our own computers.

 
At October 29, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ohmygosh can I relate! I'll be envious of your new bathroom when it's done (our si circa-1977 and needs major overhaul), but I know how awful it is to live there during the remodel. A year ago today we didn't even have a roof over our addition.

We just can't seem to get the oomph necessary to tackle any more projects. So the oh-so-seventies bath remains.

And discombobulated is most certainly a word. I use it to describe myself weekly.

 
At October 29, 2006, Blogger Claudia said...

It's interesting that even though technically, your kids' bathroom is "yours," it still feels alien to you. I feel that way when I'm home and I have to use my mom's shower for whatever reason. Something is "off." Having said that though...I've been trying to convince her to re-do our bathroom for ages!! We still have the 70's pink tile, the pink bathtub, pink sink and pink toilet. Recently the toilet seat broke and my mom has had much difficulty finding another pink seat!!! LOL

 
At October 29, 2006, Blogger Karmyn R said...

Just wait - after the bathroom is completely finished you will wonder why you didn't fix it sooner! (we did!!!)

and do you know what is worse than using the kids all-in-one strawberry shampoo? Brushing your teeth with their bubble-gum flavored stuff. yuck yuck yuck.

 
At October 29, 2006, Blogger Robin said...

Mert, I felt your pain (but I still giggled). FIVE MONTHS? I'm coming over to help (oh! the indignity!).

I knew there were duplicate posts showing, and although I deleted it, I couldn't get rid of it here for a while (grrr).


Kelly, I use the word regularly, but until I looked it up, wasn't sure if it was "for real"....it's for real, baby!

Claudia, you are sooooo right (who the heck is payin' the mortgage?!). A pink toilet, that is just twoooooooo funny, so Brady's Bunch :). Your mom shoulda gone w/a pink leopard print to replace the broken seat.

Karmyn, Ick. Yuck. At what age do they realize that's just disgusting? (welcome home:) ).

 
At November 01, 2006, Blogger Claudia said...

I am so going to take pictures when I go home for Christmas!! And I love the idea of the leopard print!!hehehe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Please click the red pensieve...it's my current blogging spot!

My Photo Name:
Robin

Location:
10-a-c

Married to my college sweet-heart :)...three GREAT kids I'm not selling to the circus today...I LOVE to laugh (& smile often)...love to read & cook, hate to shop (unless the store is very small and doesn't leave me dazed and confused). I'm scared of flying so although I'd like to travel more, I don't.

I've been pleasantly surprised to find life in my 40s to be an amazing time of transformation & discovery--of self, others, creation and the Creator.

Here's a partial explanation for my Blog title. I think it'd be cool if they really existed.

A Pensieve is a stone basin.... [One] can extract his or her own memories and place them in the Pensieve, especially to relieve the mind when it becomes too flooded with information. Anyone can examine the memories in the Pensieve, which also allows viewers to fully immerse themselves in the memories stored within...

A Pensieve first appears in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire...

For the complete explanation, see
my 2/17/06 post.

My complete profile

Blogging Chicks Carnival--A Fall Feast of the Imag...
Discombobulated
Weighing in at 10.5 pounds....
fyi
The Hostest with the Mostest
Must See TV
Sometimes I write for "you"...
Quirky
Solidarity
Mmmm, Mmmm, Good!


A Perfect Post



Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Blogging Chicks []

September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
November 2007
January 2008



Header Design by:


Blog Design by:


Powered by: