Friday, April 28
I guess something's wrong with me
I have never understood the hoopla over The Da Vinci Code. It is a work of fiction. F I C T I O N. Evidently, many don't know the definition, so I'll help them out:

Main Entry: fic·tion Pronunciation: 'fik-sh&nFunction: nounEtymology: Middle English ficcioun, from Middle French fiction, from Latin fiction-, fictio act of fashioning, fiction, from fingere to shape, fashion, feign -- more at DOUGH1 a : something invented by the imagination or feigned; specifically : an invented story b : fictitious literature (as novels or short stories) c : a work of fiction; especially : NOVEL

In spite of the fact it contains factual, historical information, it was never intended to be read as non-fiction or even creative non-fiction. Pure and simple, it's a thriller with some intriguing and provocative thoughts and ideas...laced with truth, theories, speculation, engaging characters and plot.

For me, it was a page-turner I completed in two days, my family lost me for a bit. One reviewer said it was "unputabledownable"; I like that word and agree.

Christians love their witch hunts and they love their bandwagons. This is opportunity for both. But...BUT...I am hopeful it is opportunity for much more. I'll get to that part...

I think in many instances people profess a faith that is not their own (I know I did for longer than I realized or care to admit). Gosh, too often in the South, we're just "born Christian". We grow up "in the church" and get our faith by osmosis. We hear the stories and stuff of faith externally without ever EXPERIENCING God. We're coaxed and encouraged to say the "sinner's prayer" or "ask Jesus into our hearts" from the time we can toddle, and if we go to Sunday school or Christian school, we hear all the stories and know all the "characters" by the time we're a teen. We expouse a set of beliefs sometimes because they're the "right" things to believe....right? Professing with our lips, sometimes for decades, but without transformation, with no accompanying change in the "inner man". It is a powerless faith, contradictory to what God tells us about Himself in Scripture. And sadly to me, we settle for that all too often.

I'm sitting here thinking, mind in a thousand directions, I hate it when I can't think progressively....for people who know me, you know I juggle half a dozen conversations at the same time and I'm afraid that's what I wanna do now. Sorry! Those bunny trails are attractive.

Back to the Da Vinci point. Plain and simple, I think it's stepping on toes because people don't know what they believe. They profess with their lips rather than having experienced God in their heart--they just don't know Him that well. Yeah, they can shout with the best of 'em why the book & upcoming movie will take you straight to hell, but are they (am I?) willing to share their own stories of love and forgiveness and redemption and acceptance and transformation and power? How can it be shared if we don't know it?

If the controversy generated from reading the book or watching the movie causes a person to question his faith, I think that's great! Questioning...doubting...debating...Kingdom things is NOT sinful. Thinking about, discussing, contemplating, praying through, earnestly seeking TRUTH always leads to FINDING truth! If the controversy leads readers or movie goers away from God's revealed truth, the Parable of the sower comes to mind...the seed that fell on rocky places. Shallow roots, no depth. Easily swayed or confused when something else believeable comes along.

For me, the controversy drives me to want to spend more time with Jesus. To know HIM, not why I shouldn't believe the "lies" perpetuated in The Da Vinci Code (or other books). I don't get to know Him intimately by spending time reading books about Him or about "breaking the code" (although I believe there's a place for those...); but by savoring and delighting in His Word, engaging Him in conversation through prayer, and fellowshipping with His Body, the Church. Pursuing Christ, because He first pursued me... Loving Him, because He first loved me... Loving others--not just in word or emotion, but in action, because that's what He tells me to do. "This" is opportunity for that :).

Passing along some links that are much more imaginative than anything I could write (notice I put them at the end in the hopes that you'd read me first ;) ).

Seek Truth!

Dan Kimball
Dick Staub
Christianity Today

  Into the pensieve on Friday, April 28, 2006
  Your thoughts, please (6)


6 Comments:
At April 29, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

will visit the links. glad you blogged about this. when CBD's catalog came out there were already 8 books written about this movie....christians crack me up....no wonder the world laughs at us. one article i read discouraged people from reading the book or viewing the film...it is evil. amazing really...if someone we were witnessing to said they had read 8 books about why they shouldn't read the bible, we would tell them they should at least read it before drawing a conclusion....but we are being encouraged to do the same instead of looking for opportunity to engage lost people in intelligible conversation about the book/ movie. Should we not know what it is about...be able to look outside this sickening plastic aquarium we all too often hide in! Be bold and courageous....don't be afraid of questions....God is BIG enough to handle them.

 
At May 05, 2006, Blogger Chris Monroe said...

"Christians love their witch hunts and they love their bandwagons. "

Glad you've blogged on this, Robin.
I sure do hate the witch-hunt phenomenon among "Christians". reminds me of those who "strain out a gnat but swallow a camel" :D

 
At May 07, 2006, Blogger Robin said...

Desert Pastor,

I'm afraid I've done my share of "stake-burning" in the past; gosh, I'm afraid I STILL do it now! :( But, I'm so thankful a long-suffering God has enlightened the eyes of my heart to see beyond the criticism and look through the lens of Christ's love, to see the opportunities He gives us to express His personality here on earth. My prayer is simply that I chunk the plank in my own eye before I point out the speck in yours.

Glad you stopped by and posted. Think I'll wander over to paradoxolgy and see what's on your mind these days.

 
At October 11, 2006, Blogger Malissa said...

I read the Da Vinci code this summer.
It was very good fiction. I do think though that because he had some factual errors and many people don't read critically--just swallowing everything cause it's in print (kwim?)
That caused the uproar. I heard of a lot of people believing it to be true.

Anyway;) I think it would bother someone who wasn't Protestant more kwim?

 
At October 12, 2006, Blogger Pamela said...

Our home group is studying "whole armor of God" and this week and last week we've been talking about Truth. So this was pertinent.

 
At October 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

fiction is fiction & truth is truth
it's much like basing eschatology on the LeftBehind books (and yes, I have read)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Please click the red pensieve...it's my current blogging spot!

My Photo Name:
Robin

Location:
10-a-c

Married to my college sweet-heart :)...three GREAT kids I'm not selling to the circus today...I LOVE to laugh (& smile often)...love to read & cook, hate to shop (unless the store is very small and doesn't leave me dazed and confused). I'm scared of flying so although I'd like to travel more, I don't.

I've been pleasantly surprised to find life in my 40s to be an amazing time of transformation & discovery--of self, others, creation and the Creator.

Here's a partial explanation for my Blog title. I think it'd be cool if they really existed.

A Pensieve is a stone basin.... [One] can extract his or her own memories and place them in the Pensieve, especially to relieve the mind when it becomes too flooded with information. Anyone can examine the memories in the Pensieve, which also allows viewers to fully immerse themselves in the memories stored within...

A Pensieve first appears in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire...

For the complete explanation, see
my 2/17/06 post.

My complete profile

Is it obvious?
Ah, ha!
Since my kids are testing this week...
Trying something new...
Ah, yes, spinning done well...
Wonder what I look like?
REALLY, I'm not whining (Part 2, the EVENING chaos...
REALLY, I'm not whining, but....
Well, it made ME lol
The little things......


A Perfect Post



Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Blogging Chicks []

September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
November 2007
January 2008



Header Design by:


Blog Design by:


Powered by: