Monday, May 15
God "blessed" me for biting me tongue
So, once again, it's been a while since I've written. Ten days? Geez...time is FLYING 'cause I've been having FUN :).

Last week Tad and I got away for a few days. Much...needed...time away. He's had a couple of months of l o n g days, so he was especially looking forward to DECOMPRESSION.

Our original plan called for a couple of nights at a WONDERFUL destination where we happened to share the pool with Barry freakin' Manilow during a previous visit (of course, we didn't realize that's who it actually was til later, I just referred to him as the "aging rockstar wannabe", not realizing he wasn't exactly a rockstar or a wannabe!). Since the weather decided to revert to fall and we couldn't capitalize on one of our favorite aspects of the resort, we went to Plan B. A night in Buckhead on our way to the resort.

Have y'all ever tried Priceline.com??? We are new converts! We got a 5-Star hotel in Buckhead at a THIRD of the price it listed as it's "lowest guaranteed price". For a bargain shopper who hates paying retail, I will ALWAYS try priceline.com when we travel in the future. Can't believe we haven't tried it before.

Anyway, day two we headed to Reynolds Plantation. This is where the title of this blog comes into play. We drive up to the portico where typically a swarm of bellmen would descend on your car to greet you and help you with your bags (I have never been totally comfortable with this kind of treatment, but it's part of staying somewhere like this, so I grin and bear it). For some reason, the usual swarm wasn't present, must've been a slow time for check in.

We park, get out, open the back of our MINI VAN when another car pulls up BEHIND us. A black BMW with a single man who looks very golf-ish. The single bellman on duty goes to HIM! Ouch!! I felt the sting of being stereotyped and snubbed! I didn't say anything, but then Tad quietly said to me, "I can't believe he got that guy first." so then I knew I wasn't crazy--Tad NEVER says anything like that! We finally decided to go inside and begin checking in; there was a person ahead of us, so I waited and Tad went back out to the car (I mean van).

I was still irritated at being overlooked when we arrived....I'm a "justice" girl and I was feeling the need to tell on him :), but I kept my thoughts to myself. The woman at the front desk greeted me with the most amazing smile...her countenance was radiant. I couldn't help but tell her "You have a BEAUTIFUL smile!" and she responded with an even bigger smile. She checked us in, noticing we had been there before, and finished by asking "Is there anything else I can help you with." I VERY jokingly said, "You can't upgrade us to the Concierge level at the same rate, can you?" fully knowing that was not doable. This wasn't one of those times I was "fishing" or expecting she could do a thing about it.

Ummm, guess what? I was wrong. She upgraded us at the same rate (normally there's a $100 upcharge).... If you're wondering what's the benefit of the upgrade, guests enjoy five "food presentations" a day, plus all the liquid refreshments one can enjoy ;)....all in the comfort of a beautifully-appointed private living room.

I did mental cartwheels 'cause I was pretty excited. Actually, I was touched by the gesture and told Renalda so, but I think she could tell by MY smile.

I told Tad God blessed me for biting my tongue and not dissin' the bellmen. Yeah, he was in total agreement with THAT one (wish I could show you him rolling his eyes at me). We changed clothes, went out to the pool, and lo and behold, the sun came out for the first time that day. I told Tad God blessed me again for keeping my mouth shut.

So, class, what have we learned today?

1. Priceline.com really is legit and saves you money when you're planning on going somewhere really nice anyway.
2. Bellmen like Beamers better than minivans.
3. You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar & nothing ventured, nothing gained (to coin just a few cliches that fit).
4. God cares about the details of my life, so much so, that He gives me the really, REALLY nice hotel room at the fancy resort instead of just the really nice room, in order to bless the self control with my tongue.

I think some people really believe that last line :/

  Into the pensieve on Monday, May 15, 2006
  Your thoughts, please (7)


7 Comments:
At May 15, 2006, Blogger Chris Monroe said...

Priceline rocks! Been using them for the past 4 years (by the way, there's a program you can sign up for where Priceline will contribute a percentage of your purchases through them to your kids' college fund. Pretty cool.)

Honey (not vinegar) also rocks!

Blessings.

 
At May 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How dare the Bellman go for the Beamer instead of the Minivan. I use to be a bellman back in the day (that's college for us old folks) and distintly remember doing the exact same thing due to greed. The funny thing is that I quickly learned that those who drove the nicest cars were the worst tippers. The commoners tipped the best. I guess in order to prove that they "belonged" or something. That was pretty bad but congratulations on holding your tongue. That really is a true test of self-control. I'd like to say I would have done the same, but I probably would have told him where he could drive that BMW and his pretty boy too. Ooo0, that's bad. I should stop now before I get myself into trouble. I'm glad you and Tad had fun. You guys deserve it! Can't wait to get together for dinner or something. It's been too long.

 
At May 17, 2006, Blogger Robin said...

Thanks DP for the PL/college tip :) It just keeps gettin' better, huh?

Mavrick, I'm convinced you were up to something before you posted O:-) (<---btw, that's an angel smiley). Am I mistaken, or did you call me a commoner and imply I don't belong at high-faluting resorts? Not sure anyone "deserves" that kinda thing, but it sho nuff is nice! See y'all this weekend :)

 
At May 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

may I chime in? i consider myself a "commoner" and a good tipper (for good service and a smile, of course)..... not because i need to belong, but because i can appreciate how very important those tips can be to the tippee (it honestly has nothing to do with wanting to be blessed by God for MY good deeds, Robin)

 
At May 18, 2006, Blogger Robin said...

Maverick, I think you just got dissed by Erin ;)...of course, so did I, but obviously my compadre did not read me clearly enough to realize that pursuing (or wanting) God's blessing was my motive. Ah, to the contrary, that was nothing more than the "words-of-encouragement-girl" speaking......

 
At October 11, 2006, Blogger Malissa said...

very cool! Ok so I know I read this post before too!

(are you deleting my comments in some weird game to make me think I'm losing my mind!?;))

and I was cracking up over this
"aging rockstar wannabe", not realizing he wasn't exactly a rockstar or a wannabe!)

 
At October 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barry Manilow - I have to share this w/ my mil, it's too funny. My mil lives to meet Barry Manilow :) She'll be so jealous. She just heard Liza Minelli & she'll be ecstatic for weeks.
I'll repeat what I have learned daily, until it has synthesized into my thinking
priceline, drive a beamer if I want the bellboy to be nice, honey, details... priceline, drive a beamer if I want the bellboy to be nice, honey, details ... priceline, drive a beamer if I want the bellboy to be nice, honey, details...priceline, drive a beamer if I want the bellboy to be nice, honey, details...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Please click the red pensieve...it's my current blogging spot!

My Photo Name:
Robin

Location:
10-a-c

Married to my college sweet-heart :)...three GREAT kids I'm not selling to the circus today...I LOVE to laugh (& smile often)...love to read & cook, hate to shop (unless the store is very small and doesn't leave me dazed and confused). I'm scared of flying so although I'd like to travel more, I don't.

I've been pleasantly surprised to find life in my 40s to be an amazing time of transformation & discovery--of self, others, creation and the Creator.

Here's a partial explanation for my Blog title. I think it'd be cool if they really existed.

A Pensieve is a stone basin.... [One] can extract his or her own memories and place them in the Pensieve, especially to relieve the mind when it becomes too flooded with information. Anyone can examine the memories in the Pensieve, which also allows viewers to fully immerse themselves in the memories stored within...

A Pensieve first appears in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire...

For the complete explanation, see
my 2/17/06 post.

My complete profile

"Paychecks"
Bloggers are just obnoxious
Made me smile, so it's blog-worthy
A conversation with Thomas
I can stay in Tennessee now.....
I guess something's wrong with me
Is it obvious?
Ah, ha!
Since my kids are testing this week...
Trying something new...


A Perfect Post



Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Blogging Chicks []

September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
November 2007
January 2008



Header Design by:


Blog Design by:


Powered by: