Friday, July 21
It's been so stinkin' good...
...my summer, that is. And for this, I cannot begin to express how thankful, truly thankful, I am to be able to say this. Summer 2006 will go down as one of the best ones of my life because everything has been just about as good as it gets. In spite of the imperfections, perhaps made sweeter because of them.

As I write those words, it occurs to me many cannot say that. Several heart-wrenching situations come to mind, beginning with people in my own "sphere". Two people I love dearly will have marriages ending by Fall :(. For two others (not as close to me), this may be the last summer they have with their elementary-age children, both struggling with illnesses that eventually will take their lives :( :( :(.

So I do not write this boastfully...I write it with a content heart, full--no, overflowing--with joy and gratefulness.

We moved here three years ago from a place we called "home" for over 14 years. We were young marrieds, DINKs (haven't heard that one in forever!); slowly building a life, pursuing and finding both meaningful relationships and ministry. We had three children and enjoyed watching them grow, and we "lived life" with others doing much the same. Roots, well nurtured and fed, were growing deeply.

I could write volumes about that, lol, but it's not the point here. The bottom line is God clearly, finger by finger, loosened our grip on that place and those people. "Objects" that at one point were in some way idols. Perhaps even following us to Tennessee.

This was going to be a big adventure...I approached our move with a bittersweet eagerness and expectancy, arms open wide. Even then, I saw God's direction for us as I looked back over the then-previous five years or so, and saw how He was preparing us and loosening that tightly-clenched fist.

But wouldn't you know, in typical "my ways are not your ways" form, God led us on a great adventure (allowed one to take place?), just not the one I would have willingly signed up for. Two people for whom initiating relationship and minstry comes quite naturally, all of a sudden found themselves incapable of finding either. We left a place where we were "big fish in a little sea" and found ourselves....ummm...plankton in the Pacific Ocean. We felt displaced...like we couldn't get even footing, every conversation was WORK and only happened if we initiated it with STRANGERS (who couldn't have cared less about us). And then the spiritual desert came (for me), in spite of attending two Bible studies, regular Sunday morning worship, and my kids in a Christian school. The move was hard for Tad, too, but since he's not the blogger, I won't go into any of his stuff. Obviously, his stuff had effect on my stuff and visa versa.

Ah, but I can sooo see the Romans 8:28 of it NOW. I learned what God wanted out of me. I think I did sooo much self-examination, I became an idol to myself...does that make sense? Too much of a good thing (maybe a not-so-good thing). My focus was so inward, on what needed to be changed in me, that I lost the focus on God. I am thankful He exposed the darkest parts of my heart, that I could see the depths of my own depravity, that for the first time, I saw myself as a sinner saved by GRACE, in spite of my sin, and in spite of any perceived "goodness" I thought I had. I always gave tons of lip service to the righteousness of Christ, but maybe for the first time, I knew there was nothing "good" in me apart from Him.

I think this clarity started a little over a year ago, and it's been becoming clearer ever since.

Our first summer here was dreaded! We were on the road as much as we could be, going back to SC whenever possible. And having lots of company from there, here. Anything to keep from remembering how lonely we were. Summer two, last year, some of the same. By that time, we had made some family friends, my children enjoyed time with their friends, and Tad's job changed (what we would soon discover, for the better).

This summer is our third one, and for the first time, I didn't dread it. When I went back to our hometown a few weeks ago, I came back here and told Tad, "It's the first time I recall (after visiting) NOT wanting to move back." Before, homesickness would always follow a trip there.

I have delighted in my children this summer :). I have not had any "alone" time since school was out--I've been with Tad or the kids basically every day....and I LOVE time alone in our house, so that is saying A LOT (and...lol...my sanity is somewhat still intact). Our kids, rising 4th, 6th & 8th graders, are at the easiest stages, perhaps, they'll ever be. Self-sufficient, but still thinking we're "great". We've had some great conversations and, quite unexpectedly, have discovered a new passion for playing gin :).

The summer included a Hilton Head tradition with Frankie & Christi & their family (six years straight? seven?); precious time with Erin and Gina (yes, my SC homegirls) and their children--beachfront at Edisto FOR FREE (waahoooo!), and our annual trek to GOD'S COUNTRY, which included hours on the beach, boogie boarding in the Atlantic, miles of bike rides, tons of alligator sightings (and deer and raccons and birds and deer!), and a wonderful visit with my college roomie and her hubby, and even some other SC friends vacationing nearby. Some sweet times with our extended family beginning with the first-ever reunion of Tad's family, a visit to the lake shack ;) with my sister and her crew (they hooked us on gin, rigging a tourney between our families, thinking THEY had the upper hand since they actually knew how to play...when the smoke cleared after a day of serious matches, WE were the victors......muuuuuhaaaahaaaaa!). Some dear SC friends even paid a visit here. And I've finished half a dozen books, and am somewhere in the midst of half a dozen more ;).

AND...the best part? We were always ready to get back here...HOME. And have our friends HERE for dinner, laughing wayyyy past bedtime because time flew...and wanting to get back to our Sunday morning community (aka adult SS) because THAT is where we're living life--loving God and loving people.

Tad and Rachel are headed for a father/daughter trip out west next week, and I cannot wait for THAT adventure to unfold! It's in honor of her 13th birthday, and I don't know which of them is more excited--Tad has had a blast planning it, and she cannot wait--horseback rides, rafting on the Snake River, canoeing in the Grand Tetons, camping in Yellowstone (if they can get in) and experiencing a part of the country she has never seen. Knowing in advance that this will be one of her life thrills FOREVER is impossible to put into words. I sit here unable to express the emotions within...a million different thoughts and yet so difficult to convey. As a mom (and wife), I am simply...thankful. For a husband and daughter...like the ones I have. Not perfect, but perfect for me :).

Of course, everything hasn't been so PollyAnna; perhaps the most difficult challenge continues to be the on-going difficulties associated with my dad's Lewy Bodies disease. And we'd always hope to move closer to family eventually.

But you know what? I'm savoring these times...it won't be like this forever, so for the moment, I cherish this "place". And when the going gets a little rocky again...because it WILL get rocky again, I hope I remember my silent plea-through-prayer over the last year or so: if God isn't going to change the circumstances, may He change ME through them....and may I know Him more intimately as a result :).

  Into the pensieve on Friday, July 21, 2006
  Your thoughts, please (11)


11 Comments:
At July 22, 2006, Blogger Pamela said...

That old snake river keeps on meandering from Wyoming, through Idaho and all the way into Washington, where not very far from me it rolls into the mighty Columbia. Soon it finds it way through the Dam's and on past Portland and into the Pacific Ocean. Do you wonder how long it takes to make that journey? It never stops. It stays the course. It has a destination - and that is it's purpose.

Just like you.

 
At July 22, 2006, Blogger Malissa said...

such a nice post.

I love hearing others count their blessing.

 
At July 23, 2006, Blogger Karmyn R said...

Great post - it's good to hear that you feel at home now - it has been inside you all along!!

We moved 2 years ago - fortunately, our "old" home is only 90 minutes away - My husband's job gave us an opportunity to move back last month - but after talking about it - we decided we like it here and will stay. (and when we moved here I couldn't wait to move back!!)

OH - Snake River Rafting is GREAT!!!!

 
At July 23, 2006, Blogger CyberCelt said...

Viewing your post via bloggingchicks. May you always have your family close and a summer to remember.

 
At July 23, 2006, Blogger Jana said...

What a beautiful post! Romans 8:28 is my favorite verse. I have found it to be true over and over again in my life. Thanks for sharing this with us.

 
At July 23, 2006, Blogger YellowRose said...

We moved out of state a year and a half ago....it's a huge adjustment but you know we have finally started calling this home. Took some time, and my son is not there quite yet, but he's getting there.

Great post!! Here via Blogging Chicks!

 
At July 23, 2006, Blogger Mama Duck said...

What a wonderful attitude! Thanks for sharing with the carnival ;).

 
At July 24, 2006, Blogger Robin said...

Wow, y'all...I figured this might be a long one no one read (but me), so thanks for sticking with it. Welcome CC, yellowrose & Janice--first time visitors here, right? Hope it's not the last. ALL your comments are meaningful to me, so thanks for taking the time.

Pamela, LOVED what you wrote; didn't know "where you were going", so it was nice to see how it ended :). I think Janice is right, too...life won't always be so simple and good, so I am savoring it...that word just fits!

 
At August 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

 
At October 12, 2006, Blogger Malissa said...

did your summer end as the best ever?

 
At October 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you, as someone who moved to a new place 2 years ago, I have been having a hard time remembering that I need to be content where God has placed me, that it isn't the circumstances that need to change, but, instead, God can change me.
Glad you're having a great summer with the kiddos.
Ours was great 2. We had 2 boys for 3 months!!!!!!!!!! We did everything we could & savored as many moments as possible before they left for an island in the Pacific. And loved almost every minute of it (there was about 1/2 hour that we didn't enjoy).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Please click the red pensieve...it's my current blogging spot!

My Photo Name:
Robin

Location:
10-a-c

Married to my college sweet-heart :)...three GREAT kids I'm not selling to the circus today...I LOVE to laugh (& smile often)...love to read & cook, hate to shop (unless the store is very small and doesn't leave me dazed and confused). I'm scared of flying so although I'd like to travel more, I don't.

I've been pleasantly surprised to find life in my 40s to be an amazing time of transformation & discovery--of self, others, creation and the Creator.

Here's a partial explanation for my Blog title. I think it'd be cool if they really existed.

A Pensieve is a stone basin.... [One] can extract his or her own memories and place them in the Pensieve, especially to relieve the mind when it becomes too flooded with information. Anyone can examine the memories in the Pensieve, which also allows viewers to fully immerse themselves in the memories stored within...

A Pensieve first appears in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire...

For the complete explanation, see
my 2/17/06 post.

My complete profile

Stuff I learned from blogging this week.......
Brownie Points
Flickr ROCKS!
You can walk like a duck...
Dreamin' in technicolor with the Bloggin' Chicks
Rediscovering a long, lost love
Tag! I'm IT!
I'm probably the only person who thinks this, but...
I admit it...I am FRUSTRATED!
My head musta been in the sand


A Perfect Post



Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Blogging Chicks []

September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
November 2007
January 2008



Header Design by:


Blog Design by:


Powered by: