Tuesday, September 19
Boys will be boys...
...and sometimes they surprise you. Pleasantly so.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

A few weeks ago, we took Stephen and Rachel to one of our favorite "happy places". Tad and I were sipping a little not-necessarily-Southern comfort while reading the latest and greatest (meaning I don't remember now what we were reading then). The kiddos were mining treasures of their own somewhere nearby. How much do I appreciate that they enjoy this kind of outing as much as we do?!

Stephen had to make a trip to the bathroom, and upon his return, he had a very happy gleam in his eye. Not only did he find treasures galore in the bookstore, he found a five dollar bill on his trip to the loo (for the record, no, I have never used that word before-ha!). This is the kid who used to lay prostrate on any--EVERY--store floor, cheek grazing unknown-disease-laden linoleum, expectant eyes probing the darkness underneath the cashier's platform, silently praying to the grocery store gods that he'd find "silver money". Even at the age of four he understood that would do more for him than copper. Now, a fourth grader, he no longer hits the deck, but always has an eye cast downward "just in case". This time, it paid off.

Well, for two minutes, anyway.

He knew what he had to do, he didn't even question it. We walked over to Customer Service, explained what he had found, and in spite of the confused looks we received, turned in the bill to lost and found. Honestly, as the mom, I was disappointed the CS rep didn't praise him, but then again, he (we) didn't do it to be praised. He understood how he'd feel if he lost $5, how he would hope someone else would do the same for him. He got lots of affirmation from me on the ride home.

About two days later, Thomas was at a middle school football game; it was the afternoon of Rachel's birthday, so the rest of us didn't join him (she certainly didn't want to spend her birthday doing that!). When he got home that night, his adrenaline was flowing--great game (a buddy caught a "b e a u t i f u l" touchdown pass!), a blast with his friends, and sounding like he was on a caffeine buzz, he excitedly and animatedly (the way Thomas lives life) observed, "I've been at school 13 hours today!"

Thomas went on to tell me that he had found a $5 bill on the ground at the game. I asked him if he bought a bunch of junk with it and he said, "Of course not...someone lost it...I turned it in to the concession stand." [**heart swelling, now**]. He's 12. He could've bought enough junk to rot a tooth or two (as if he had any to lose!). And without us there to guide and direct him, he made a difficult choice.

How bizarre that within a few days of each other, BOTH our sons found five dollars? It's doubtful that the rightful owner ever claimed the money in either instance, but somehow I believe both boys gained much more in those decisions than they would have had they bought something; something that by now would have been long forgotten.

And I received an incalculable mommy-paycheck:).

Quote under picture: The soul is dyed the color of it's thoughts. Think only of those things that can bear the full light of day. The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is who you become…


Kelly got me thinking about writing about this, she's a thoughtful blogger who has much experience working with kids. Visit her at Pass the Torch--you'll want to return again and again!


Photo credit: Allposters.com (shop again, shop often!)


  Into the pensieve on Tuesday, September 19, 2006
  Your thoughts, please (27)


27 Comments:
At September 19, 2006, Blogger Kelly Curtis said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At September 19, 2006, Blogger Kelly Curtis said...

That's a great story. You must have been so proud of your boys for making the right choice.

I love "mommy paycheck" -- that's perfect!

I'm thrilled you joined us for Pass the Torch Tuesday!

Kelly

 
At September 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was beautiful. And what a coincidence about 2 $5 bills, wow.

Congratulations to your boys, and I love your "mommy-paycheck" phrase. Yes, the best mommy paychecks are free.

 
At September 19, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

Kudos to your kids! And to the mommy and daddy who taught them honesty. And to the God who influenced them.

 
At September 19, 2006, Blogger Swampwitch said...

I really enjoyd this post for several reasons... "mommy paycheck", Pass the Torch info, the caption, and clicking on the links, BUT especially the story about your children and their honesty. Thank You !
I'm trying to learn how to link to one of my earlier posts.

 
At September 19, 2006, Blogger Knitting Maniac said...

Awesome story!!!!

 
At September 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Treasure be th' best thin' in th' world.
Be yer sons crazy ya lily livered scallywag? What kind o' pirates you turnin' out?

 
At September 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

C'mere me fellow blogger and foller me to me pirateglobbership. Me hearties to see what crawls outta the bunghole...oh, it's me grog and lime soup. Specializing in mayhem and madness at me glob where the beatings will continue until morale improves
AARRRRR

 
At September 19, 2006, Blogger Robin said...

My pirate friends are crackin' me up (that, paired with a nice Riesling). Y'all are too stinkin' cute :).

Welcome to Pensieve's "newbies": knitting maniac & mom2-3;) (hope y'all will come back now, ya hear?


Warm fuzzies from Heather & Kelly & Swampalicious.

But Karmyn is slap crazy!

 
At September 19, 2006, Blogger willowtree said...

In answer to a comment on OUAB, I read your blog everyday, I just tend not to comment on Christian related posts for fear that I might offend someone. Also, you should know I do tags (occassionally), you have tagged me in the past!

This post is similar to one I've been mulling over for some time now (I can't believe how many of my posts you inspire!) and will probably write very soon. But for now, let me say that you are 100% correct in saying that the reward is the feeling they get from doing a good thing.

 
At September 19, 2006, Blogger Robin said...

Geez, WT, I'm blushing...you're blowing all kinds of air up my skirt :D

You're pretty reasonable...AND articulate. That just means, even though you might not agree with me or subscribe to my beliefs, you're worth listening to ;). I'm just glad you stick with me when I'm God-blogging. I'd be curious to know what you think about some of them.

 
At September 19, 2006, Blogger SongBird said...

What a wonderful post! And what wonderful sons you have. This made me feel so positive.

 
At September 19, 2006, Blogger Claudia said...

That is really awesome!! I can only imagine how proud you are!

 
At September 19, 2006, Blogger Pamela said...

treasures in heaven

 
At September 19, 2006, Blogger Malissa said...

woo hoo! Honesty just FEELS good too!

Good for them and for you!

What a good Mom you are to have boys of integrity!

 
At September 20, 2006, Blogger Swampwitch said...

Pirates revealed...AARRR...I was the pirate with Multiple Personalites...dread pirate flint and red charity rackham...

 
At September 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The incalculable mommy paycheck...I love it!

 
At September 20, 2006, Blogger Karmyn R said...

That is really great about your boys! Integrity is needed more around the world.

But, you have taught them that if they find a bar of chocolate somewhere they should immediately give it to you, right?

 
At September 20, 2006, Blogger M J said...

What a sweet story. It sounds like they got much more than the $5 could have ever given them.

 
At September 20, 2006, Blogger Holly Schwendiman said...

A thousand congrats to you mom and your boys! Thanks for taking time to share. ;o)

Hugs,
Holly
Holly's Corner

 
At September 20, 2006, Blogger eph2810 said...

This is totally cool!!!!
Did you realize that I just spend 30 minutes on your blog. I should come more often than once a week *grin*.
Have a blessed night - better get dinner ready for hubby and I.

 
At September 21, 2006, Blogger Susannah said...

Neat post, neat Mom AND a neat bunch of reader/commentors. Way to go Robin... you're a darling on both sides of the God fence. *-)

 
At September 22, 2006, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

That was so great, and so well written. Good kids you have there!

 
At September 24, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

Wonderful story. Wonderful boys (that must reflect on wondeful mothering). I wonder what they do with that cash?? Hey, maybe I'll learn a lesson and start just checking at the lost and found for money. Someone's gotta claim it.

Also, my 8 year old daughter now appreciates the trip to the happy places as well, which is SO awesome. Dh and I love to just book browse.

 
At September 26, 2006, Blogger Robin said...

Thanks, guys...the boys loved the spotlight, and I guess the post and YOUR COMMENTS was an incalcuable "doin' the right thing" paycheck, too.

Welcome, again, Holly, and Darlene, GLAD you stopped by.

Jennifer, we could double date and never say a word ;).

 
At October 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How blessed you are to have such thoughtful boys, I bet you get a twinkle in your eye when you think, "I made that!" :O) Congratulations on you award for Perfect Post.

 
At October 02, 2006, Blogger Kimberly said...

Beautiful story! Congrats on being such a wonderful mother and for your Perfect Post Award :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Please click the red pensieve...it's my current blogging spot!

My Photo Name:
Robin

Location:
10-a-c

Married to my college sweet-heart :)...three GREAT kids I'm not selling to the circus today...I LOVE to laugh (& smile often)...love to read & cook, hate to shop (unless the store is very small and doesn't leave me dazed and confused). I'm scared of flying so although I'd like to travel more, I don't.

I've been pleasantly surprised to find life in my 40s to be an amazing time of transformation & discovery--of self, others, creation and the Creator.

Here's a partial explanation for my Blog title. I think it'd be cool if they really existed.

A Pensieve is a stone basin.... [One] can extract his or her own memories and place them in the Pensieve, especially to relieve the mind when it becomes too flooded with information. Anyone can examine the memories in the Pensieve, which also allows viewers to fully immerse themselves in the memories stored within...

A Pensieve first appears in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire...

For the complete explanation, see
my 2/17/06 post.

My complete profile

For Tad
I'll deny it if you repeat it, but...
Screwed up system
In good company
Wanna new look for your blog?
Two Hundred
The Real Mary
I love a tall caramel macchiato breve but despise ...
It's a Whole New Ballgame
I'm not even sure what to think about this one...


A Perfect Post



Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Blogging Chicks []

September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
November 2007
January 2008



Header Design by:


Blog Design by:


Powered by: