Saturday, October 28
Discombobulated
Is that even a word? If it's not, it should be. OF COURSE, I can't just wonder, I HAD to look it up, and yeah, if you're wondering, it IS a word. It means upset, confused, and that's what I am. Can't seem to get my feet totally under me since getting back from Florida. Actually, it began there, now that I think about it.

When I woke up the first morning at my aunt's house, when I sat up, the room started spinning. I thought, "Whooooooaaaa", and wanted to put a foot on the floor to stop the spinning. Reminded me of some of those mornings back in "the day"...but on this particular morning, there was no reason to be spinnin'....in college, well, plenty of reason.

I didn't think too much about it until later that day on the beach. Aunt P lives about 45 minutes from the coast, and I couldn't wait to get there! It was a BEAUTIFUL October day, and when my body's that close to sand and surf, well, I'll knock down old women and children to bury my toes in the sand. This is not something I'm proud of, but it's the truth. Forget my aunt, forget my kids, forget Tad, in less time than it'll take for me to finish typing this sentence, I had my suit on, a drink in hand, and cross-my-arms-blink-blink I was out the door. They know this about me, so thank goodness, they're a rather forgiving lot.

It was high tide, so there wasn't much beach to set up a chair, which was fine, because really, how much room do you need? In spite of the salt-rusted hinges, down went the head of my chair in full recline, out-in-a-pop unfurled my hot pink beach towel covering fine woven plastic, and down I plopped, fat, dumb and happy (actually, only one of those three, and if you choose wrongly, I shall hunt you down and hurt you. Choose wisely, I'm discombobulated. And postal.) About this time, the kids had found their way to the beach, too, that's important in this part of "the telling".

As soon as I tilted back my head to lie down, the room started spinning. Except this time, there was no room...instead, it was blue sky and white clouds and a loud ocean and glittering sand and high-rise condos.... aggggggghhhhhh! It was wicked and nauseating and totally disorienting; my first thought was "Oh, no! I've got a brain tumor!" (Yeah, you may laugh out loud, it was funny to me then and it's funny to me now.) Thomas or Stephen asked me something right about then not knowing I was about to hurl the cinnamon toast I had had for breakfast. All I could respond was "Shut up! Don't talk to me!!" which will win me no "Mother of the Year" awards but will earn you a mouthful of vinegar at home (if I follow through with remember the punishment). That is how bad I felt in that instant and my next thought was "I've gotta ride rides tomorrow???!".

When Tad came out, I told him, and he immediately diagnosed my condition: vertigo. Verti-freaking-go... He added matter-of-factly that 90% of people will experience it as some point in their lives, this info from a guy he works with who has debilitating bouts of it.

So, there ya go, I totally believe that's what's wrong with me. This diagnosis was confirmed many times based on internet research of my symptoms (I'm sure real doctors HATE that!), I have yet to see a REAL doctor or be treated for it, and yeah, I'm still dizzy (but mainly when lying down or getting up). If I
r e s p e c t the vertigo (aka move very slowly), I can minimize the spin.

But to prove how much I love the beach and how quickly I've had to "get there" all my life, lookie here: me as a four-year-old bathing beauty, the only time in life chunky legs and a bulging tummy are CUTE. Couldn't be bothered with the time it took to put on a swim cap...Nooooo, I don't need no stinkin' swimming cap...swimmer's ear be darned**!


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

(** I gotta tell ya...Stephen just came and sat down by me while I was checking this post...and he said pitifully, incredulously in a high-pitched little boy voice, "You CUSSED on your blog??" **sigh** don't think I'll ever garner any Mother of the Year votes...I changed it for him.)

  Into the pensieve on Saturday, October 28, 2006
  Your thoughts, please (14)


14 Comments:
At October 28, 2006, Blogger Karmyn R said...

I couldn't see the picture -dang.

GO TO THE DOCTOR!

You could have some inner-ear infection and not even know it - and that could be BAD like lose your hearing bad!!!!

If it is simply some weird onset of Vertigo then you are fine - if your kids were suddenly getting dizzy, you'd take them to the doctor - treat yourself accordingly!!!

 
At October 28, 2006, Blogger dan said...

Vertigo is a regular uninvited guest in my home/head. I can rarely lay on my back or look up. And I don't recommend getting high (I mean "climbing" ladders, etc. - what did you think?). But, yes, you might want to see a doctor to make sure (though I never have). :)

Nice legs.

 
At October 28, 2006, Blogger Claudia said...

ooh, that does not sound good. Being dizzy from the rides, yes..but vertigo..No. Hope you get back on your feet soon!

 
At October 28, 2006, Blogger LeftCoastOnlooker said...

I agree, go to the doctor!
Nice picturs \o/

 
At October 28, 2006, Blogger Sally said...

It is probably BPPV - benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, which is what I have. Here's a website:
http://www.tchain.com/otoneurology/disorders/bppv/bppv.html

Little bits of debris get into the ear canal and disturb the tiny hairs in the ear that help us maintain balance. I get worse vertigo whenever I am having my seasonal allergies because I'm blowing my nose so much, forcing debris into the ear canal. There are exercises you can to do try to get the debris to shift away from the canal but I haven't found those to be very helpful. There is no medication that I know of that can help this.

 
At October 28, 2006, Blogger LeftCoastOnlooker said...

my 1st comment (oct. 7) was that you make me dizzy :)
sorry about that crack

 
At October 28, 2006, Blogger Nancy said...

Oh, I am so sorry to hear this...just when you could be having the most fun...at the beach. It does sound like verigo however I have never had it, I know other that have. Despite that I love your humor in all of this. Your blog is always uplifting. I hope the vertigo gets better so you can enjoy the beach!

 
At October 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very funny post. But I have to say that I agree with Karmyn (she beat me again dammit), I think it's a middle ear infection, you should get it checked.

Holy Molley I don't know what's going on but all of a sudden I've got spell check in comments!!! This will save me some time.

 
At October 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You shouldn't tease me like that! I rushed home, almost wrecking my van, sacrificing life and limb to "see" this post. Oh well, sorry to hear about the dizzy spells. If it's to the point of nausea, you probably should seek a Dr's opinion. See ya in the morning.

 
At October 28, 2006, Blogger Robin said...

Karmyn (tail between my legs), "Yes, mom." So far, hearing is fine.......

Dan, here's a stereotypical thought...Why are men so quick to suggest others go to the doc when they refuse to themselves?? (I don't have to go any further than my own husband on this one...). You really should have that checked out if it's that frequent of an (uninvited) guest. Oh, and ty ;).

Claudia, on my feet, yes, 100%, no.

LCO, thanks & yes ma'am to you, too (maybe it's your fault for making the dizzy remark to begin with!) ha!

Sally, thanks for the link, your explanation sounded like several I've read.

Nancy, WELCOME! Have you posted before? If you have and I've forgotten, it's b/c I'm discombobulated...I can't help it ;). Thanks for your thoughts & encouragement.

WT, that's what you get for heading to the coast without advance notice. I don't get why YOU (a Blogger traitor) have spellcheck in your comments when I (a Blogger holdout) do not. Maybe it's that Beta thing and they're trying to lure you back. Speaking of back, welcome!

CR......HEEHEEGIGGLES AND MORE! Gotcha, you dirty old man! Ok, you aren't dirty or old, but you are a M-A-N, clearly by the "almost wrecking my van, sacrificing life and limb to "see" this post" comment. SR is gonna whip your tail! Or mine :O). Or both. Tonight was great, huh? I was proud of the way you "took care" of Ry-Ry with only minimal complaint ;). One day you'll miss these days.

Who am I kidding?? THAT'S one thing I DO.NOT.MISS!

 
At October 28, 2006, Blogger Malissa said...

Get better!!!

 
At October 28, 2006, Blogger Anna Venger said...

heh heh. So you admit you're a little "dizzy" now, do ya??? Just Kidding!! :)

Seriously, please do go to the doctor. Take care of yourself.

I love how you were able to bring humor into this story.

BTW, what a cute kid!

 
At October 29, 2006, Blogger Mary said...

I get fluid in my ear (I have terrible allergies, and post nasal drip... sorry TMI, lol), I agree you should have it checked. If it's just fluid, you can take some antihistimines to dry it up- it doesn't always cure it but it helps. Or like Karmyn said, it could be an infection. Though self diagnosing seems like it might save you a doctor visit, it could be harmful... better safe than sorry.

OK, I am done nagging. I hope you feel better soon. :O)

 
At October 29, 2006, Blogger Robin said...

Malissa, ty sweets.

AV, I'm coming to Deleware to whip your tail (but I'll probably get lost reading the map...). ;)

And, thanks, you were the only one who noticed my inner beauty :).

Mert, it doesn't seem like allergies...I'm not off balance, but durn, I've had several "spells" today :(. I guess I'll really have to go dagnabit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Please click the red pensieve...it's my current blogging spot!

My Photo Name:
Robin

Location:
10-a-c

Married to my college sweet-heart :)...three GREAT kids I'm not selling to the circus today...I LOVE to laugh (& smile often)...love to read & cook, hate to shop (unless the store is very small and doesn't leave me dazed and confused). I'm scared of flying so although I'd like to travel more, I don't.

I've been pleasantly surprised to find life in my 40s to be an amazing time of transformation & discovery--of self, others, creation and the Creator.

Here's a partial explanation for my Blog title. I think it'd be cool if they really existed.

A Pensieve is a stone basin.... [One] can extract his or her own memories and place them in the Pensieve, especially to relieve the mind when it becomes too flooded with information. Anyone can examine the memories in the Pensieve, which also allows viewers to fully immerse themselves in the memories stored within...

A Pensieve first appears in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire...

For the complete explanation, see
my 2/17/06 post.

My complete profile

Weighing in at 10.5 pounds....
fyi
The Hostest with the Mostest
Must See TV
Sometimes I write for "you"...
Quirky
Solidarity
Mmmm, Mmmm, Good!
Good...no, GREAT news!
Because our camera was schizing out in Florida...


A Perfect Post



Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Blogging Chicks []

September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
November 2007
January 2008



Header Design by:


Blog Design by:


Powered by: