Tuesday, May 23
Soapboxes, Shopping and Camera Phones
Sometimes I wonder if I'm a girl because I do not have the shopping gene. My daughter has inherited this deficiency from me. I think I used to have it, but now shopping is just a CHORE I do NOT enjoy! The one exception is stumbling across an amazing bargain....in that case, stockpiling items I am certain we will have use for at some date in the future, although Tad and everyone else in the family questions the logic (I need only site my purchase of tennis racquets to justify myself, we used ALL 8 of them).

It's almost summer. Rachel NEEDS a new bathing suit. This was our challenge over the weekend. I'm trying to come up with a stronger word for challenge....daunting challenge? insurmountable?? The ONLY thing worse than shopping in general is BATHING SUIT SHOPPING. Tad is convinced there isn't a female alive who doesn't hate it, although their reasons will vary (I agree). It is the one thing I will NOT look at size and automatically disqualify if it's larger than I'd like.

Rachel is 13, still in between a girl and a woman. We actually started looking in women's suits, just because that's usually what we found first. Most look like "old ladies" suits (even too "old" for me, lol). But then we tried juniors, and ay yi yi........GIVE ME A FREAKIN' BREAK! They were all a geometry lesson--two triangles (three, if you count the bottoms) and a not-so-straight line! No tankini's, and really, no boy shorts either.... Sooooo, it was back to women's.

Maybe it's where we live, I guess at least six or seven hours from a beach. Yeah, we did find ONE that was a keeper, out of maybe 30? This makes me want to be a clothing designer, which is pretty funny in and of itself, I have absolutely NO flair for fashion. But I DO know how to cover basic body parts! Reminds me of a GREAT Barlow Girls song (click the link AND be sure both to read ALL the lyrics and listen to the clip).

Anyway, the saving grace at the end of the day was the fun we had as we were leaving. We walked past the millinery department and HAD to try on a few......I saw more than a few smiling faces walking by as they witnessed a mom and her daughter enjoying each other's company. The FUNNIEST thing was a lady asked US to help her decide on a hat for real!! As if we knew what we were talking about.....................:)

  Into the pensieve on Tuesday, May 23, 2006
  Your thoughts, please (5)


5 Comments:
At May 23, 2006, Blogger clew said...

Hi Robin! I'm visiting from the Blogging Chicks blogroll ... wanted to let you (and Tad) know that I HATE SHOPPING TOO! :)

You're not alone, lady ...

See ya!

 
At May 23, 2006, Blogger Robin said...

Hey Clew, Thanks for stopping by, oh, kindred non-shopper that you are :). Loved your blog--glad BC brought us together!

 
At October 11, 2006, Blogger Malissa said...

aww:) how much fun!

I don't enjoy shopping either. Those hats are something else;)

 
At October 12, 2006, Blogger Pamela said...

I don't like to shop.
But I think the hat derby would have been a pleasant time.

(I have a friend who has a phobia about anything on her head that MAY HAVE BEEN on someone elses --c oooties

 
At October 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

challenge - problem
daunting - disheartening

the children's & junior's dept.s that attempt to dress our girls like objects to be leered at disgust me

love the hats!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Please click the red pensieve...it's my current blogging spot!

My Photo Name:
Robin

Location:
10-a-c

Married to my college sweet-heart :)...three GREAT kids I'm not selling to the circus today...I LOVE to laugh (& smile often)...love to read & cook, hate to shop (unless the store is very small and doesn't leave me dazed and confused). I'm scared of flying so although I'd like to travel more, I don't.

I've been pleasantly surprised to find life in my 40s to be an amazing time of transformation & discovery--of self, others, creation and the Creator.

Here's a partial explanation for my Blog title. I think it'd be cool if they really existed.

A Pensieve is a stone basin.... [One] can extract his or her own memories and place them in the Pensieve, especially to relieve the mind when it becomes too flooded with information. Anyone can examine the memories in the Pensieve, which also allows viewers to fully immerse themselves in the memories stored within...

A Pensieve first appears in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire...

For the complete explanation, see
my 2/17/06 post.

My complete profile

Determination
I figured it out!
PENSIEVE explained...for the newbies
Girls just wanna have fun.........
Eleventyseven ... again :)
Just BE
What a GREAT start for eleventyseven!
11t7 Family Groupies
God "blessed" me for biting me tongue
"Paychecks"


A Perfect Post



Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Blogging Chicks []

September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
November 2007
January 2008



Header Design by:


Blog Design by:


Powered by: