Thursday, November 2
Unexpected Gifts (I wasn't finished...)
One of the coolest things from yesterday's post was a point I didn't get to; the title was "Unexpected GiftS" but I only got to the first one. The "s" implies more than one, and there was.

When I got to the dealership, there were three cars in front of me, but they still checked me in quickly. I reminded them what I was there for, and in addition to the brake job, I asked them to check the thingamajig that squirts water on the windshield...you know, the fluid that's supposed to hose off bug guts and bird mess. Ours has never worked that I can recall, a bubbling dribble does little more than dampen the hood of the car and frustrate me.

They have a nice waiting room so off I went to blog on my lappy, coffee in hand. No sooner had I powered up, did Chris-the-service-concierge come and find me to tell me the "news".

Chris: "Ma'am, your brakes are just fine...they don't need to be replaced."

Me, oh so intelligently: "Huh?"

Chris: "That's right, they're only about half-worn, so if you replace 'em now, you're just throwing money away."

Me, dumbfounded: "Oookaaaaaaayyyyyyyy. Then what's that racket we're hearing."

Chris: "I don't really know, ma'am (I'm feeling a thousand years old). We'll check 'em and clean 'em, but when they need to be replaced, you won't wonder about it. You'll KNOW."

Ten minutes later I'm on my way with my not-so-squeaky-but-clean brakes and a windshield-squirter-thingy spraying at the speed of sneeze. Best of all, no charge :).

It hit me driving home that there was no "real" reason to go to the dealership yesterday, our brakes were fine.

And I would've missed an amazing show.

  Into the pensieve on Thursday, November 02, 2006
  Your thoughts, please (10)


10 Comments:
At November 02, 2006, Blogger Claudia said...

Robin, that is awesome!! How often does that happen...no, you don't need to spend all that money. Nope...and here, let's fix the thingamajigger too!!

 
At November 02, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

Quality place

 
At November 02, 2006, Blogger Robin said...

Claudia, you're talkin' in RobinSpeak now, I totally understand you :).

Heather, makes me a little more "comfortable" for when I gotta go back the next time.

 
At November 02, 2006, Blogger Susan in va said...

You could look at it this way - what would you have blogged about had you not gone to the dealership?

P.S. I could swear that I just left a comment on a post that's no longer here?!?! Straaaange..... And there were all of these "cute Robin" pictures on it, too ;)

 
At November 02, 2006, Blogger Robin said...

Susan, you AREN'T crazy--when I looked at the post, I had uploaded the wrong picture. Now, Blogger isn't cooperating, so I'm waiting until I can upload the right ones before I re-publish.

Or maybe you are nuts ;).

Nah, you think I'm cute :).

 
At November 02, 2006, Blogger Erin said...

I have that same squeaky, hunk-of-gravel-stuck-under-the-disk sound on my brakes. My husband, a car mechanic from his youth, swears that there is absolutely nothing wrong, and if you can't trust the car mechanic you married, then who CAN you trust?!

Oh! but the eye-squinting, ear-cringing, fingernails-on-the-chalkboard pain I go through. Every. Time. I. Stop. Just. So.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!

 
At November 02, 2006, Blogger LeftCoastOnlooker said...

It was all about the rainbow, ma'am ;)

We had a really great one today!

 
At November 03, 2006, Blogger Robin said...

Erin, O U C H! Stop that!!

Hey, LCO, mine must've traveled west! And if you call me "ma'am" again, I'll hunt you down and smack you around!

 
At November 03, 2006, Blogger LeftCoastOnlooker said...

;)
Did you know it's Malissa's birthday today?

 
At November 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way cool that you didn't had to spend money to get your car all non-squeaky :)...

I think when people call me 'ma'am' is more a respect thing :)...Thank you for sharing your blessings with us :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Please click the red pensieve...it's my current blogging spot!

My Photo Name:
Robin

Location:
10-a-c

Married to my college sweet-heart :)...three GREAT kids I'm not selling to the circus today...I LOVE to laugh (& smile often)...love to read & cook, hate to shop (unless the store is very small and doesn't leave me dazed and confused). I'm scared of flying so although I'd like to travel more, I don't.

I've been pleasantly surprised to find life in my 40s to be an amazing time of transformation & discovery--of self, others, creation and the Creator.

Here's a partial explanation for my Blog title. I think it'd be cool if they really existed.

A Pensieve is a stone basin.... [One] can extract his or her own memories and place them in the Pensieve, especially to relieve the mind when it becomes too flooded with information. Anyone can examine the memories in the Pensieve, which also allows viewers to fully immerse themselves in the memories stored within...

A Pensieve first appears in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire...

For the complete explanation, see
my 2/17/06 post.

My complete profile

Waaaaayyyyy too cool!
Unexpected Gifts
Do you want someone to tell you if...
White and Nerdy
He Ain't Heavy...
Nailed
Discombobulated, Reason #2
Blogging Chicks Carnival--A Fall Feast of the Imag...
Discombobulated
Weighing in at 10.5 pounds....


A Perfect Post



Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Blogging Chicks []

September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
November 2007
January 2008



Header Design by:


Blog Design by:


Powered by: