Monday, October 2
Professional music reviewer, I am not...
...but still, I know what I like, and the older I get, the less I'm tied to specific genres. You won't find me listening to rockabilly, gansta rap or heavy metal, but other than that, I'm pretty open. The 90s are pretty much a blur, don't think I listened to much of anything then, guess I was having babies and running my tail off and oh, yeah, talk radio more than anything (or CCM).

Since my kids are flooding their ears & minds with all things iPod, I'm encouraging balance in what they're listening to. We bought two CDs Friday, and I have to say, I'M loving both of them, pretty much every track, and better yet, THEY'RE loving both of them (although maybe not every song).

One is Hawk Nelson's "Smile, It's the End of the World. Man, it's good for car dancin' (which my kids secretly love about me...UNLESS somebody ELSE sees me). It's fun and fast-paced and all things pop-punk ought to be. Hawk Nelson is packaged as a Christian band, but their lyrics aren't expressly "Christian"...no real references to God or Jesus, but honestly, I'm over 40 and my eyes are failing the stinkin' print was so small on their CD jacket I didn't have the patience to read their lyrics all the way through. When asked in an interview if they were getting tired of the demands of the music scene, I was MUCH amused with their answer, "...it's been our dream since we were kids...". Ummm, someone tell them that anyone who says "... we're all super passionate...", "super" anything, IS still a kid.

The other gem I picked up is Starfield's "Beauty in the Broken". I bought it after hearing (and really liking) "My Generation"; that song was strong enough to get my money. I like their sound, but gee, I was so glad I didn't read this before I bought it, it might've preempted the purchase...my, my, Russ was NOT kind to them. We noticed their similarities to other artists, but that's alright by me. It's very worshipful (is that a word)...hmmm, car worshippin'...works for me :).

Click both the album links, select "Play All" and give 'em a chance. You can listen while you blog (that's what I'm doing right now :) ).

Heyyyyy, I just thought of something, with my free Folgers gourmet coffee samples, maybe we could score advance copies of CDs.

  Into the pensieve on Monday, October 02, 2006
  Your thoughts, please (7)


7 Comments:
At October 02, 2006, Blogger Julie Carobini said...

Free coffee? I'm so there!

The music tastes are changing around here as the kids become teens. Unfortunately, there's much fighting over the car radio...

 
At October 02, 2006, Blogger Vicki said...

I'm listening to Hawk Nelson right now. This information was right on time! My daughter won a iPod Shuffle at church, brought it home and filled it with great songs we sing all the time. There is always music in my house. So on the bus she let her friends listen to the other ear piece. They told her she had crummy music. This was a huge crush to her because this is "our music". Ok I'll admit it's songs like You Aint Woman Enough To Take My Man, I Was CountrY When Country Wasn't Cool, What's New Pussycat, Anything Johnny Cash, How Deep Is Your Love, Still The One,.. you get the picture. I was saving my 10 year old's ears from Oops I Did It Again for as long as I could. I'm buying these two CD's now online and will surprise her with "Not Stupid" tunes tonight!

On the car dancin.. Your a Car Dancer too? Just this weekend we had a friend over. Driving down the road a song comes on we would normally car dance to, I look at my daugther and she says with her eyes "Please Mama Don't" I pretended not to see and DANCED AWAY. The friend laughed, the daughter rolled her eyes. THEN the friend says, "Dont worry, my Mom does that too." We should start a club.

 
At October 02, 2006, Blogger Erin said...

Car Dancers Unite!

Fortunately, my kids are still young enough to think I'm only slightly silly rather than all-out embarassing.
And I think I passed the groove gene on to them too...

 
At October 02, 2006, Blogger Robin said...

Wow, Vicki, a free iPod? Durn, nice prize. Sounds like your music tastes run the gamut, too :). The mama bear in me comes out when I hear things like this, though..."Don't you be dissin' my music >:(...".

Looks like we could have a car prom before it's all said and done! I think passing the gene to the next generation is imperative, Erin :).

Julie.....MY tastes have changed probably more than my kids in the past five years. Like I said, though, my head was spinning so quickly from the time I gave birth til then I didn't have time to hear a thing other than the cries around my feet, lol.

Car Dancers & Coffee Drinkers, carpe freakin' diem!

 
At October 02, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

thanks for the tips.
sometimes i dance in the car, sometimes i perform a broadway number, mike, choreography and all.
sometimes i conduct the score for the classical radio station. i know that they need my help.

 
At October 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love 'car-dancing' :). I think when people see me in my car at the stop light they think I am nuts. But then again - I am a little loopy in my head :)...
I will have to check it out - you recommendations I mean.

 
At October 04, 2006, Blogger Lori said...

Boy, you had a plethora of postings this week!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Please click the red pensieve...it's my current blogging spot!

My Photo Name:
Robin

Location:
10-a-c

Married to my college sweet-heart :)...three GREAT kids I'm not selling to the circus today...I LOVE to laugh (& smile often)...love to read & cook, hate to shop (unless the store is very small and doesn't leave me dazed and confused). I'm scared of flying so although I'd like to travel more, I don't.

I've been pleasantly surprised to find life in my 40s to be an amazing time of transformation & discovery--of self, others, creation and the Creator.

Here's a partial explanation for my Blog title. I think it'd be cool if they really existed.

A Pensieve is a stone basin.... [One] can extract his or her own memories and place them in the Pensieve, especially to relieve the mind when it becomes too flooded with information. Anyone can examine the memories in the Pensieve, which also allows viewers to fully immerse themselves in the memories stored within...

A Pensieve first appears in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire...

For the complete explanation, see
my 2/17/06 post.

My complete profile

Warm & Fuzzy
Coffee.....J a v a l i c i o u s!!
Cats...Love 'em? Hate 'em? Doesn't matter....
Take this quick test
I'll soon be shifting gears, but for now...
A limerick or two...
Horseshoes and Hand Grenades, Part Three
Horseshoes and Hand Grenades, Part Two
Hit and run
"Almost" only counts in horseshoes and hand grenad...


A Perfect Post



Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Blogging Chicks []

September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
November 2007
January 2008



Header Design by:


Blog Design by:


Powered by: