Friday, November 24
Easy as Pie!
Thanksgiving has come and gone, retail is finally in the black for the year, so that can only mean one thing--Christmas is just around the corner! As a public service to anyone who finds their way into the ol' Pensieve, I'm going to share a double-naught secret recipe with you (and I PROMISE, I will not leave out any key ingredients). The "secret" is more in the technique than the ingredients, and if you've ever struggled with a homemade pie crust, this is all you'll need to earn blue prize ribbons at the County Fair and a reputation as Queen of the Kitchen. You'll get dozens of invitations to holiday dinners and parties, but your hosts will hint that YOU need to bring the dessert--you'll have to decide for yourself whether or not it's worth the effort. It's almost as easy as making Rice Krispie Treats and not much more work...but let 'em think you s l a v e d :).

Here's all you need to get started:

If you can read AND follow instructions, it's idiot proof.

The only brand that matters is the Mazola CORN oil. My friend who shared this recipe swears it makes a difference. Because her pies were inhaled, not chewed, I have never deviated from this detail. Do so at your own risk.

Now, pre-heat your oven to 350 and gather these ingredients:

1 cup + 2 Tblsp ALL PURPOSE flour
2 Tblsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup Mazola Corn oil
2-3 Tblsp. ICE water (cold is supposed to matter, too)

In a small bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients. Make a "well" in the center and add the oil.

Next, with a spoon or pastry knife cut in the flour with the liquid.

This is when I begin adding the ICE water; I usually start with 2 tablespoons, and then if it seems too dry, I had a third. Once it is mixed well by spoon, I fold it in with my hands (from the outside to the center). If it sticks to your hands, it is too wet, so add a bit of flour. Don't over-handle the dough. It should be smooth enough to shape it into a disc like this:

Tear two sheets of waxed paper about 18" long. Put the dough-disc on top of one sheet and cover it with the other. Now the fun part.......start your rollin' :). Roll in opposing directions, with the obvious goal of shaping a circle (because you're limited by the width of your waxed paper, your circle will be more oblong...). I'm not sure about the thickness of your piecrust, but it's THIN...maybe 1/8". No worries, though.

Once your circle/oblong is larger than your pie plate, you'll be ready to pick it up and drape it over your dish. Here's where the secret technique comes in. Slowly lift the top layer of wax paper completely off the crust. If it sticks, go slower. If it STILL sticks, start over. Lightly replace the top sheet of wax paper.

Pick up BOTH sheets of wax paper with the crust between them and flip it over to the other side.

Now, lift what WAS the bottom layer of paper completely off. Ball it up and see if you can score two points by tossing it into the nearest trashcan. This step is not part of the secret technique but it conjures up all kinds of fun school-year memories of trashcan basketball:).

Carefully lift the crust by the wax paper underneath and drape it, centered, over your pie plate.

Now, slowly remove the wax paper; it should lift easily since you've already lifted it once before.

For this demonstration pie, I've made an All-American Apple Pie. It also required a top crust, so I made two recipes. I have never doubled the recipe and divided the dough in half; instead, I've made two separate recipes in separate bowls. With the extra dough, I used some tiny cookie cutters to make apple designs (to hide the flaws :/). Be sure to "vent" the pie by cutting about 6-8 1" slits in the top...it might explode if you don't (I doubt that would actually happen, but do you really wanna find out?)

The top crust was a bit dry, I should've used a bit more ice water (hence, the flaws). A neat gizmo my mother-in-law gave me is this "pie crust saver". It really does its job--in the past, I'd cover the edges with tin foil for half the cooking time to keep the edges from getting darker than the center of the pie; that was a pain and usually resulted in me getting burned when I pulled it off. Here's the end result...and......yum! It's just as good as I remembered!
Lemme know if you try it or if it sounds like I've left something out. This is a recipe in the "oral tradition", that's why I provided the visuals :). In other words, I know what to do and I hope I'm remembering to tell you everything. Really. Truly. I wouldn't intentionally leave anything out, would I? Shame on YOU for even thinkin' it! ;)


  Into the pensieve on Friday, November 24, 2006
  Your thoughts, please (9)


9 Comments:
At November 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds fantastic! I'm quite impressed with the Martha Stewart play-by-play as well. I think we'll have to try this sometime in the next month.

 
At November 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not being churlish, but I started a diet two weeks ago (not a real diet, just cutting out flour things; bread, pasta, pies) so I'll just look at the pictures.

PS. it might interest you to know that this showed up in Google feedreader, but not bloglines. I wonder if that's because blogger is a google product?

 
At November 25, 2006, Blogger Mary said...

I am going to save this recipe, thanks for sharing your secret! looks nummy, and the apples are pretty.

 
At November 25, 2006, Blogger Robin said...

Kelly, it can be Home Ec for the kids :).

Peter, churlish? Perish the thought! I'm on a real diet. If I sound testy, that just could be the reason why >:{.

Mert, I use Rome apples, and they're not in season that long...lemme know if/when you try it! (Nice new profile pic!) :)

 
At November 25, 2006, Blogger Pamela said...

bloglines still not working right for me.

I've used this or a similar recipe before, but I always go back to my old Good housekeeping recipe. And I use butter flavored crisco.

Hubby's gram used LARD - and thats what you get in most store bought brands.

Your pie looks lovely - I'm impressed with the cute little apples I never would have thought about patching with cut outs. Learn't something new!!!!!

 
At November 25, 2006, Blogger Karmyn R said...

Cute little apples on the top!!! Looks pretty easy and good - BUT - I'll stick with the Pillsbury brand, thanks!

 
At November 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey this looks delish and easy! I am gonna try it someday when I have a bit more time to bake. I will certainly let you know how it turns out.

 
At November 27, 2006, Blogger LeftCoastOnlooker said...

how cool! I love that you gave the step-by-step with pictures!!!!
But, I'll stick with my good-old-fashioned-ask-my-m-i-l-stand-by ;)

 
At December 08, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This does sound yummy :)...I suppose you can make any fruit in this pie. My hubby does not like apple pie that much, but cherry pie :)...I might give a shot for Christmas.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Please click the red pensieve...it's my current blogging spot!

My Photo Name:
Robin

Location:
10-a-c

Married to my college sweet-heart :)...three GREAT kids I'm not selling to the circus today...I LOVE to laugh (& smile often)...love to read & cook, hate to shop (unless the store is very small and doesn't leave me dazed and confused). I'm scared of flying so although I'd like to travel more, I don't.

I've been pleasantly surprised to find life in my 40s to be an amazing time of transformation & discovery--of self, others, creation and the Creator.

Here's a partial explanation for my Blog title. I think it'd be cool if they really existed.

A Pensieve is a stone basin.... [One] can extract his or her own memories and place them in the Pensieve, especially to relieve the mind when it becomes too flooded with information. Anyone can examine the memories in the Pensieve, which also allows viewers to fully immerse themselves in the memories stored within...

A Pensieve first appears in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire...

For the complete explanation, see
my 2/17/06 post.

My complete profile

Diet Motivation...
Toast, Toast, A 300th Post...
I really, REALLY hope this isn't lost in translation
Judge NOT
My last post got me wondering....
I saw some crazy people tonight
Mmmm, Mmmm, Good!
"I want you just the way you are..."
Cartoon hearts are floating
Robin-2, Laposaur-1


A Perfect Post



Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Blogging Chicks []

September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
November 2007
January 2008



Header Design by:


Blog Design by:


Powered by: