Tuesday, December 19
I wasn't exactly the REAL Mary, Mother of God....
....but I got to play her in my preschool nursery program. It's interesting to me now that I wasn't cast as an angel; even at the tender age of four, I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket. They sang "Silent Night"...I was silent.

I had forgotten about this, but when I got bogged down with my doing anything...EVERYTHING BUT cleaning, I found this clipping. And it brought back some of my earliest childhood memories. I REMEMBER throwing hay at "Joseph". The short wise man to my right was my high school sweetie. We didn't realize we had known each other as preschoolers when we began dating in high school, I'm not sure at what point we discovered we were destined for each other from our earliest years. Which reminds me, we were supposed to get married September 17, 1985. It was on a Tuesday, but I didn't care, I chose it because I "liked" the date....whatever THAT means. Sounds "so high school".

Wanna hear something really....odd? As much as it touches my heart to see this, in spite of the fact my heart EXPLODED when my own daughter was cast to play Mary a few years ago, I think these re-enactments profane the truth. They sanitize it and make it a "cute", one-dimensional event, rather than the amazing, painful, smelly, uncertain, bloody, lonely, time-defining, incomparable, life-giving MIRACLE it was.

And still is.

So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David. He went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child. While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn. And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger." Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,

"Glory to God in the highest,
and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests."

When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, "Let's go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about."

So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby, who was lying in the manger. When they had seen him, they spread the word concerning what had been told them about this child, and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them. But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart. The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things they had heard and seen, which were just as they had been told. The Gospel of Luke 2:4~20


  Into the pensieve on Tuesday, December 19, 2006
  Your thoughts, please (9)


9 Comments:
At December 19, 2006, Blogger Susan in va said...

I never get tired of reading this.

Thank you.

 
At December 19, 2006, Blogger LeftCoastOnlooker said...

precious picture - thx for the scripture

 
At December 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing the cool clipping from the newspaper :)...

BTW - I'll be posting the passage on Christmas day on my blog.

 
At December 19, 2006, Blogger Robin said...

Susan, It's best read s l o w l y ;).

LCO, :), enough "said".

Iris, the perfect one for Christmas day :).

 
At December 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautifully written!

 
At December 20, 2006, Blogger Mike Y said...

I don't particularly like such reenactments either, not even when they're within a church. Personally, I have little need for drama to be mixed in with church.

I could say so much more than this, but I'll hold off.

 
At December 20, 2006, Blogger Holly Schwendiman said...

My biggest memory as a kid was the year I was cast as a pig. What the ??? After tears and lamentations to my mom I was changed to a bunny....a bunny in a stable? Now, I know the sweet lady was just trying to come up with something for every child to be so no one was left out - but isn't there a better way? How about a choir of angels? And I'm with you on the importance of remembering how humble the beginning (and end for that matter) really were.

Hugs,
Holly
Holly's Corner

 
At December 20, 2006, Blogger Karmyn R said...

Sweet- I liked the part about you throwing hay. (and you remembered!!!)

 
At December 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That picture was amazing, and it warmed my heart.

I totally get what you're saying about the reinactments, but when we are young both in age and in faith, these things are what our hearts and minds can grasp and hold while we're maturing to a point of understanding the AWESOMENESS of that miracle. We're spoon fed what we can digest.

On that note, one of my dearest friends has a 4 year old son who's very familiar with the Christmas story and the Easter story and stories like the miracle of the loaves and fishes. But last Sunday, when my friend thought his son was paying no attention to the sermon, the minister declared, "And the next time He comes, He'll be coming for His children." The precious little boy, startled, looked at his Daddy and said, "He's coming BACK?!?"

Thank you for the lovely story and the scripture. Oh, and that OH so sweet picture!

Merry Christmas!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Please click the red pensieve...it's my current blogging spot!

My Photo Name:
Robin

Location:
10-a-c

Married to my college sweet-heart :)...three GREAT kids I'm not selling to the circus today...I LOVE to laugh (& smile often)...love to read & cook, hate to shop (unless the store is very small and doesn't leave me dazed and confused). I'm scared of flying so although I'd like to travel more, I don't.

I've been pleasantly surprised to find life in my 40s to be an amazing time of transformation & discovery--of self, others, creation and the Creator.

Here's a partial explanation for my Blog title. I think it'd be cool if they really existed.

A Pensieve is a stone basin.... [One] can extract his or her own memories and place them in the Pensieve, especially to relieve the mind when it becomes too flooded with information. Anyone can examine the memories in the Pensieve, which also allows viewers to fully immerse themselves in the memories stored within...

A Pensieve first appears in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire...

For the complete explanation, see
my 2/17/06 post.

My complete profile

This TICKS ME OFF >:-(
Ripple effect
If I ask you V E R Y nicely, would you please....
Due to technical difficulties...
Cinquain (well, sorta)
Ooo La La! It's Quiz Time!
Treasure Hunt
I am gonna be so busted for writing this post...!
Jammin' to Jesus, Disco and The Killers
Providence and Irony


A Perfect Post



Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Blogging Chicks []

September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
November 2007
January 2008



Header Design by:


Blog Design by:


Powered by: