Wednesday, December 6
Tagged--Six Weird Things About Me
The Swampwitch from Anecdotes, Antidotes & Anodes tagged me, and since she might have mystical powers, I thought I'd better post it quickly. It's shorter than the A-Z meme Carol (She Lives) hit me with, so it "wins" my attention first. Six things is 20 times easier than 26 things about me, even weird ones. I probably could've gotten away with re-posting my "Five Things You Probably Don't Know About Me" --they're all rather weird, but in the spirit of fun (and for a quick post), here goes this one:

1) I do not drive wearing shoes if at all possible. Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall, doesn't matter. Pouring down rain, who cares? Snow...wait a second, I don't live where that is, only the perpetual grocery store-conspiratorial FAKE forecast the meteorological "much-ado-about-nothing-and-apparently- I-don't-know-how-to-do-my-job" forecast blizzard warnings which amount to 12 flakes a "storm", and even if it was 12 inches deep, I still wouldn't wear shoes (but then again, I wouldn't be driving...). I have arrived at my destination without shoes because of this. I tied up one of my kids, removed his shoes, and left him in the trunk (thank goodness all my children have feet close enough to the size of mine now). Groovy look. I haven't forgotten since.

2) When dining out, I HAVE to have lemon for ice water. That's not so weird, but once I squeeze out the juice, the slice CANNOT touch the water. Who knows whose hands have touched those lemons? And what "those hands" were doing before they sliced it? Ick Ick Ick! If they bring the water out with the lemon already in it, I usually drink it, but worry about what disease I might be introducing into my body. So far there doesn't appear to be any parasitic activity. The crazy thing is I'm not a germiphobe otherwise...my inconsistencies could be a "weird" post all on their own :/.

3) According to my husband, I spend more time taking care of my feet, than he does on his entire body. This involves daily pumicing and the regular application of lotion most days...and the irregular use of Bath & Body concentrated foot lotion and oh-so-cute booties. If I didn't do this, my feet would look like the picture at the right, and if that don't make ya gag, I don't know what will!

4) Self-delusion and denial are wonderful coping mechanisms. Do we ever see ourselves the way others do? Impossible, I think. Why do I begin #4 this way? In yesterday's post, I explained how my closet is organized when I finally get around to doing so. I also explained this did not demonstrate obsessive-compulsive tendencies. In comments, Willowtree deftly noted:

If read the wrong way these sentences seem to be contradictory.

"Note, I draw the line at alphabetizing my clothes, so this is not an O-C act. My sweaters seem happier living with sweaters, my pants delight in hanging around with their two-legged counterparts..."

What part of putting sweaters with sweaters and pants with pants is not alphabetizing? I would never suggest that this is an O-C act, as it is quite clearly an act of insanity.
Then Swampy herself said:

Alphabetizing clothes? Why haven't I thought of that? My spices are in ABC order, my catalogs are in ABC order, and now...my clothes?

OH! MY!! WORD!!! I alphabetize my spices, first according to brand, too! Crapola! I DO have O-C tendencies! Do I bless you or curse you for pointing out what I was oblivious to, but was (sadly) obvious to others?

5) With all my heart, with every fiber of my being, I BELIEVE I could go on Survivor AND WIN! In spite of the facts I am not athletic, well-traveled, or well-educated; I'm fearful of flying, scared of spiders, snakes and bugs (oh, my!), terrified of heights, and in addition to being extremely modest, I have an excruciatingly shy bladder and an even more performance-anxiety-riddled bowel. I can swim, however (you would not want to go into the ocean with me, for the afore-mentioned confession), and because of the above, I would not appear to be a threat. But with my cunning skills of deceit "spin" (I was a marketing professional in my other life), my engaging wit, and ability to play well with others, I'd be the one under the radar that they kept aboard until it was too late to unload me.

6) Give me any circumstance and I WILL find the good (and the God) in it. Maybe not right away, but always eventually. (I am thankful for this piece of "weird".)

I have no idea who to tag. I have been so negligent in reading my blogline-nistas, I have no idea who has done this and who has not. If it looks like fun to you and you have some WEIRD skeletons who are DYING to get outta the closet, PLEASE play along and comment back to me that yours is up--I promise to come over and leave some comment proving that I've read your list ;).


  Into the pensieve on Wednesday, December 06, 2006
  Your thoughts, please (27)


27 Comments:
At December 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

O-h-h-h-h! I think I'm first if I hurry and type...First, thanks for being a good sport and playing the Weird Game ! Drinking the lemon juice probably helps you ward off any germs you are harboring on your bare feet. And because they are so tough that would probably allow you to win on Survivor, along with #6. As far as your O-C tendencies, I'm just thankful I read your post yesterday so that I can go alphabetize my closet. It took me several re-looks to figure out that pic was someone's heel. I think that person needs a farrier.

 
At December 06, 2006, Blogger Robin said...

Ha! Swampy, you're #1!!! In every sense of the word;). I had to look up the word "farrier", I thought it was one coined in your glob asylum, but I would be wrong on that account! See? Blogging (once again) is educational! I learned a new vocabulary word!

 
At December 06, 2006, Blogger Kila said...

Oh, #1 made me cringe. I MUST have something covering my feet at all times. You must be a sensory-seeking person, whereas I don't care for too much sensory input. My middle son, VERY sensory-seeking, is always barefoot, and I can hardly bear it!

 
At December 06, 2006, Blogger Robin said...

Kila, my husband's the same way. He would sleep in his shoes if at all possible! This time of year I DO wear socks, but shoes? forggetaboutit!

 
At December 06, 2006, Blogger Susannah said...

I love your foot fetish. Tells me you're "well-grounded" (or just the opposite... you choose... one or the other!) Did I tell you my best friend in high school works as the education coordinator in a shoe museum in Toronto? She's focussed on feet in a major way.

You sound a little like my husband. He pads around in slippers all day when he's home, and loves to run barefoot. He has super wide feet, so shoes are uncomfortable for him. (My feet have six toes, he says!) He's also a germ freak. Hates to have any human skin touch his food. When we eat nachos, he won't eat the little piece of corn chip he touched. He ends up with a little pile of chip slivers!

So we're all weird in one way or another... I did a meme like this, but there were ten weird things about me... posted in my Cafe. Did you see it?

 
At December 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just a wee bit s-l-o-w, but now, looking at your avatar, the foot thing all makes sense.

 
At December 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well this is a first, a post that's too weird even for me to comment on.

And without looking it up, I would say (in fact I know) that a farrier is a shoe salesman for horses.

 
At December 06, 2006, Blogger Robin said...

E-mom, ya know? I'm beginning to think it IS a fetish! I'm A FREAK!!! Except, when I was looking for the picture I used here, I saw waaaay too many scary "for real fetish" sites. There are some very, very scary people out there. Very. Scary. A shoe museum? (No, you haven't mentioned that before) I know some girlie-Qs who would love to spend some time there. If it involved purchasing ;). We ARE all weird one way or another...these little blog exercises simply confirm it for the ever-lovin' world! (and no, I didn't see it in the Cafe...guess if you served Caramel Macchiatos I'd be more inclined to stop in;). I'll check it out...soon!)

Willowtree...............................unfreakinbelieveable. Me. Halting you. WITH THIS???? GEEEEEZZZZZAAAAAAAAREEEEEEEEE. FYI, Mr. SmartyPiratePants, close but no cigar:

Main Entry: far·ri·er Pronunciation: 'fer-E-&r, 'fa-rE- Function: noun (Etymology: alteration of Middle English ferrour, from Anglo-French ferrour blacksmith, from ferrer to shoe (horses), from Vulgar Latin *ferrare, from Latin ferrum iron)
: a person who shoes horses

 
At December 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah Robin, I live between two horse studs (one breeds thoroughbreds [racehorses] and one breeds stock horses [like quarter horses but bigger]), which is how I know about horses.

If you don't make the shoes yourself (large studs usually employ their own farrier) you buy them from a blacksmith. Which means there is no such thing as a "shoe salesman for horses". A guy who shoes horses sounded boring so I used hyperbole.

Ha ha made you look (it up)!

 
At December 06, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

I'm looking for Survivor apps for the next show...

 
At December 06, 2006, Blogger Robin said...

WT...subtle nuances, durn it. If I wasn't in such a hurry, I MIGHT have caught it :/. And, of course, YOU have the last word! Except me replying, of course...!

Heather, uh-oh...for me or for you?

 
At December 06, 2006, Blogger Mike Y said...

I thought we were friends. Why are you posting a pic of my heel on your site??? My right heel does get quite dry if I don't keep up with things. That's why I HAVE to get the pedicure every 2 weeks.

And I'm the same way about the lemons. And that's what I always order.

I try to drive barefoot as often as I can too.

 
At December 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Farrier, Farrier, Farrier...
Put your sunglasses on people and go to DubYaT's post today.
A-RRRRRR-gh Maytees

 
At December 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Explanation of my comment that the person looks like she needs a farrier...with a hoof like that, she needs a horse shoe on it...

 
At December 06, 2006, Blogger LeftCoastOnlooker said...

not getting into the farrier conversation, although it forces me to think & think deeply...

 
At December 06, 2006, Blogger Karmyn R said...

Okay - I admit it, that was a picture of my heels by the end of summer. Something about wearing sandals all the time does that to my feet. Now they look better after keeping socks and regular shoes.

 
At December 06, 2006, Blogger Susan in va said...

Okay, Robin. This is really starting to freak me out!

#1 - Me too!
#2 - Who orders ice water without lemon? #3 - I'm obsessed with well groomed feet. Well, my own at least.
#4 - I alphabetize my spices, too! Not the closet, though.
#5 - I would be voted off on the first episode. Heck, I wouldn't even make it to the show.
#6 - Ditto ;)

 
At December 06, 2006, Blogger Claudia said...

Robin!! am i the only one that noticed that you tied your kid, and left him in the trunk...barefoot???? whaaaat???
#1..."I tied up one of my kids, removed his shoes, and left him in the trunk" And WT missed that one???

 
At December 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't miss it, I just didn't see it as being abnormal behaviour.

 
At December 06, 2006, Blogger Robin said...

Mike, Weeeeeelll, I needed SOMETHING visual for this post. Pretty gagamaggot, huh? I found out what happened when I don't pumice daily...not quite as bad as that pic, but well on its way. WHY IS THAT? WHY DO ICKY THINGS HAPPEN TO YOUR BODY AFTER 40? I'm just sayin'...you finally get a little life experience and wisdom under your belt (WT, you may NOT comment on that remark), and your body starts talking. Profanely at times. :/

Swampy, I think photoshopping should be banned from the net after that! A pantie pirate raid??? We can't even blame it on Halloween!

I totally got the comment, btw, and it was YOU who "made" me look it up, not the self-absorbed girlie pirate ;).

LCO, for some reason your comment made me laugh, and then giggle deeply :).

Karmyn, cream and emollients, baby, cream and emollients. Let Buttercup apply them to your feet; she'll think she's getting away with something (lol).

Susan, why do I keep having to reference Twilight Zone musak lately??? But very cool! (I knew the driving thing, but not the other).

Claudia, This is why I'm glad you visit. This is why I'm missing your spot. Tomorrow (said with a shrug and a sigh). Frankly, I was a little surprised no one mentioned the "dying skeletons" comment...guess it was only funny to me.

WT, this is why your babies have four legs, not two.

 
At December 06, 2006, Blogger Pamela said...

1. I can't go barefoot anymore because of pronation

2) hmmm a little paranoid about the peel are we? I'm that way about the servers handling peoples credit cards and money before they serve my food. Money and credit cards are D I R T Y.

3)I love pedicures. You know of course that going barefoot exaserbates cracking and dry heel

4)Now whenever I sing the alphabet song, I'm going to be thinking about your anise to Za'atar

5)I believe you could, too!

6)We've got to believe

 
At December 07, 2006, Blogger Susannah said...

"For the love of Feet!" The other fun thing my shoe museum friend and I do is trade mini-stockings at Christmas. She started the tradition in sixth grade, and we've been sending itty bitty little goodies all wrapped up and stuffed into tiny socks to each other for over thirty years... the same two homemade stockings too! Now that's love (of feet), isn't it? :-)

 
At December 07, 2006, Blogger LeftCoastOnlooker said...

Imelda Marcos would go insane! no shoes for Robin & too many for e-mom & her friends.
you all crack me up - glad I could make you giggle Robin.
#1 I hate shoes but I don't drive barefoot - it's a germ thing, I imagine they are there because Jehu may have driven my car
#2 I never thought so much about the lemon, but if they put my silverware straight on the table, instead of the napkin, they have to go get me a new set
#3 that pic was just vile - I'm still shuddering
#4 I organize by dewey decimal --everything! Jehu still doesn't get it.
#5 Is Survivor still on? Does anyone still watch that? That is so year 2000 8-[
#6 excellent

 
At December 07, 2006, Blogger Erin said...

Robin,
I'm going to play, but posting my "weirdness" right here.

1) I love orange juice! Really COLD OJ. This was my one splurge when we lived overseas- $7 a gallon.

2) There are 6 kids in my family. Boy,girl,boy,girl,boy.girl. All naturally conceived, all single birth events, all from the same 2 parents. I'm the first girl. (Read that: THE BABYSITTER! And first to marry and have kids. Oh yeeeeah, those younger sibs owe me BIG TIME!)

3) I've never had a typing course in my entire life. I'm the fastest hunt'n'pecker this side of the Brazos!

4) Gotta say something about feet don't I? On the opposite side of the foot fetishers and the pedicure-a-day people, I, frankly, think that the feet are the most ignoble part of the human body. (That's publicly exposed, that is.) With all the abuse and stress we put our feet through, they are just plain old ragged out. I can't fathom why people are ATTRACTED to feet or BY feet, or whatever. That is the l a s t place I'd be looking to get interested in someone. Their feet? Really? Ugh.

5) I enjoy mowing the lawn. Gives me time to think and pray. The humming of the mower drowns out the screaming children demanding their mother. :) I've even been known to ASK if I can mow the lawn. (Kind of like a Calgon moment. But I guess it's a John Deere moment!)

6) I'm not partial to dress-up events. Fancy, formal dinners and such. I'm a cockney Eliza Doolittle when it comes to knowing which fork to use and how to get in and out of cars in heels. Probably also has something to do with the fact that I'm still wearing my phat fat jeans. ;)

 
At December 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that I am officially gagging over here. My feet are looking pretty skeevy at the moment because I threw out my calous shaver.

 
At December 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are too funny -- but I have to admit that only the lemon thing seems weird to me...What does that say about me? Either you are just as normal as I am or we are both weird???

 
At December 11, 2006, Blogger janet copenhaver said...

Hey stopped by from Swampwitch and I just want to know how did you get a picture of my foot?????

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Please click the red pensieve...it's my current blogging spot!

My Photo Name:
Robin

Location:
10-a-c

Married to my college sweet-heart :)...three GREAT kids I'm not selling to the circus today...I LOVE to laugh (& smile often)...love to read & cook, hate to shop (unless the store is very small and doesn't leave me dazed and confused). I'm scared of flying so although I'd like to travel more, I don't.

I've been pleasantly surprised to find life in my 40s to be an amazing time of transformation & discovery--of self, others, creation and the Creator.

Here's a partial explanation for my Blog title. I think it'd be cool if they really existed.

A Pensieve is a stone basin.... [One] can extract his or her own memories and place them in the Pensieve, especially to relieve the mind when it becomes too flooded with information. Anyone can examine the memories in the Pensieve, which also allows viewers to fully immerse themselves in the memories stored within...

A Pensieve first appears in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire...

For the complete explanation, see
my 2/17/06 post.

My complete profile

"Do I look fat in these..."
Time Flies at the Speed of a Bell X-1
Randomries
Wrong Wrong Wrong
Blind Date
Huh?
What a difference a few weeks makes
The truth hurts.....
Javalicious...again
Five Things You Probably Don't Know About Me


A Perfect Post



Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Blogging Chicks []

September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
November 2007
January 2008



Header Design by:


Blog Design by:


Powered by: