Wednesday, December 20
I paid dearly for this picture...
...Thomas cried for the hour following his visit to Santa's lap, totally traumatized by the fat scary man with white hair, long beard, and strange clothes. Although Thomas WAS a character from the womb-to-this-day, he did not LIKE characters of any sort. At Chuck E Cheese, he closed his eyes when Chuck E appeared; Thomas very much believed "If I can't see you, you don't exist". At amusement parks, if strolling characters came within 20 feet invaded his "personal bubble", he clung to me like white on rice, closed his eyes and wailed like a banshee. So, it only makes sense he'd react to Santa Claus the same way, right?

So, keenly aware of his aversion to pretend people or beasts, why would I put this poor child through this ordeal?

Because I'm a mother, that's why, and we have certain rights...like photo opportunities. And because at this same age, Rachel cried at the sight of Santa and I didn't MAKE HER SUCK IT UP have her picture taken with him that year--to this day, I regret it. I wasn't about to let another Santa photo opp pass me by, regardless of the consequence. I'm sure Santa was thrilled, of course I had to snap several pictures.

This remains one of my favorite pictures of them...just look at the expression on Rachel's face, lol. Wonder what she was thinking?

Here's another favorite Christmas photo. Rachel's lips are pursed and juicy because she was kissing the angels in her arms. Rachel got away with murder when she was little, her way around "not" touching breakable things was to kiss them. Who could say "no" when she'd toddle-speak, "But I juss wanna tiss dem"?? Those are very nice Lee Middleton dolls...I bought the girl angel before Rachel was born, the companion boy version after. I've never played with or collected dolls (I loved stuffed animals as a child, not dollies, except for the Barbie phase....), but when I saw that doll, I had to have it. HAD TO! $130 later, it was mine, and I still can't believe I plunked down that chunk of change for a doll......not just once, but TWICE!

Anyway, that's beside the point, lol. I captured that look in between kisses, she always handled special things with tenderness and affection....because she wanted to make daggum sure she'd get to "tiss" the next pretty thing she wanted to get her chubby little girl hands on. I don't think I ever said "no" and remarkably, she never broke a thing.

  Into the pensieve on Wednesday, December 20, 2006
  Your thoughts, please (14)


14 Comments:
At December 20, 2006, Blogger Susan in va said...

What absolutely GORGEOUS children!! Rachel has such beautiful eyes! I could probably say the same thing about Thomas, but, well....it's kinda hard to tell from the picture - LOL!

Rachel looks just like you, doesn't she?

 
At December 20, 2006, Blogger Karmyn R said...

I have a similar pic of Jammin' with Santa. I'll have to post it.

Oh - isn't it amazing how much you let your 2nd child get away with - like holding dolls or breakables, that were totally cherished and put away from the first one.

 
At December 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When will you damn mothers realise that Department store Santas are CREEPY! Why do you put your children through that just for the sake of a photo. No, I don't have issues with Santa, why do you ask?

 
At December 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my, what beautiful children. I, too, was guilty of plopping my kids in Santa's lap. Now, I don't care if the Grandkids have Santa pics or not. Most of the Santa's are creepy anyway. I agree with DubYaT.

 
At December 20, 2006, Blogger Pamela said...

that santa is kind of scary.
My favorite santa video is that kid on "funniest videos" when he turns to santa and says: "Your breath stinks"

sweet pictures of your kids, tho.
Our local newspaper had bunches of pictures of Santa and screamin' kids.

Don't you think that is tradition now? Everyone has to have their screamin' Santa picture.

 
At December 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Santa photo is classic!! I hope you stash that photo away, to be shown at his wedding.

Classic. Priceless.

 
At December 20, 2006, Blogger Erin said...

My SEVEN year old hit the floor and did the army crawl to hide between my legs when Santa approached us in the mall last year.

Her comment as we drove by the mall this year, "Yeah, I don't really like Santa all that much."

Ya THINK?!

 
At December 20, 2006, Blogger Robin said...

Susan, now I think she does, then I couldn't see it...but, oh, how I love that you do :).

Karmyn, she was my FIRST! But she sure knew how to charm her way into anything she wanted, without even tryin' :). Can't wait to see your two.

WT, Nine months gestation, sleep deprivation, gastro-irritation, constipation, labor and delivery....we earn these little "gimmes"...!

SW, Funny, we had some really good ones along the way, but recently a bit more...not so good. It is an odd tradition when you stop to think @ it.

I dunno, Pamela...I know plenty of friends who thought I was wretched at the time.

Marnie, yeah.....I agree with YOU @ the wedding :) and thanks for your closing words ;).

Erin, bless her heart! I giggled when I read that.

 
At December 21, 2006, Blogger Sally said...

Those are very sweet pictures!

I'm lucky that my daughter was never afraid of Santa. She always insisted she wanted to go see Santa every year and sit on his lap. I have a photo of her on Santa's lap for each of her 8 years. She still believes in him!

 
At December 21, 2006, Blogger Lori said...

Now see I see this as great bribery when they are teenagers. It is the only thing we have going once they are bigger than us.

When I visited my husband's family's place the first time when we were dating. They showed me "family video". They knew I was the one because I did not run screaming from the room =)

Merry Christmas friend.

 
At December 21, 2006, Blogger Claudia said...

I know you've heard it already but dang, those kids are cute!! Those big eyes!! Rachel looks like a doll herself!

 
At December 21, 2006, Blogger Holly Schwendiman said...

Hmmm I can relate. My daughter was never afraid but my little guy sure was. This was the first year he met Santa with wonder, awe and smiles! ;o) He gets out of trouble by using good manners "No thank you mom" when he doesn't want to do or eat something. My daughter mastered the art of changing the subject....LOL

Hugs,
Holly
Holly's Corner

 
At December 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I took my baby sister (who's 17 years younger than me) to see Santa when she was 2. She danced with excitement all the way through the line, but the second I put her on Santa's lap she screamed her little lungs out!! Ah, memories!!

My little Bethany did just fine this year. 'Course, she's only 6 months old, but she simply looked astonished, which I found incredibly appropriate. Wonder how she'll do next year!!

And your children are simply beautiful!

 
At December 21, 2006, Blogger Malissa said...

pretty!:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Please click the red pensieve...it's my current blogging spot!

My Photo Name:
Robin

Location:
10-a-c

Married to my college sweet-heart :)...three GREAT kids I'm not selling to the circus today...I LOVE to laugh (& smile often)...love to read & cook, hate to shop (unless the store is very small and doesn't leave me dazed and confused). I'm scared of flying so although I'd like to travel more, I don't.

I've been pleasantly surprised to find life in my 40s to be an amazing time of transformation & discovery--of self, others, creation and the Creator.

Here's a partial explanation for my Blog title. I think it'd be cool if they really existed.

A Pensieve is a stone basin.... [One] can extract his or her own memories and place them in the Pensieve, especially to relieve the mind when it becomes too flooded with information. Anyone can examine the memories in the Pensieve, which also allows viewers to fully immerse themselves in the memories stored within...

A Pensieve first appears in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire...

For the complete explanation, see
my 2/17/06 post.

My complete profile

I wasn't exactly the REAL Mary, Mother of God....
This TICKS ME OFF >:-(
Ripple effect
If I ask you V E R Y nicely, would you please....
Due to technical difficulties...
Cinquain (well, sorta)
Ooo La La! It's Quiz Time!
Treasure Hunt
I am gonna be so busted for writing this post...!
Jammin' to Jesus, Disco and The Killers


A Perfect Post



Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Blogging Chicks []

September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
November 2007
January 2008



Header Design by:


Blog Design by:


Powered by: