Monday, September 11
"Let's roll"
As spoken by Todd Beamer, Flight 93, 9.11

September 11, 2001...I started the day with thoughts of a dear friend who was celebrating a 30-something birthday; those thoughts were quickly replaced with images of chaos, confusion and destruction. A branding of terror that seared itself upon our collective hearts, silent scars which tell a story that never should have been written.

...the first date my children will remember for the rest of their lives with the words "I remember what I was doing when I heard...", much like, I suppose, my earliest "like" memory--the '72 summer Olympics in Munich.

I remember thinking "the sky is falling" as I studied our own azure sky 670 miles away from what would eventually be known as Ground Zero, and I wanted to duck and cover but there was nowhere safe to hide...the vulnerability, the underbelly exposure, wondering how to protect our children?

The strangest memory, perhaps, is recalling the song "American Pie" playing over and over in my mind's ear...."the day the 'music' died..." I googled the lyrics just now, and wow, although written about something entirely different, so much of it "fits" 9-11...bizarre.

Pausing to remember the living and the dead, grateful to discover moments of beauty when we have eyes to see and ears to hear.


Many moments of beauty--lives of beauty--are honored in this week's Blogging Chicks Carnival. If you have a few moments to spare, you'll be blessed.

  Into the pensieve on Monday, September 11, 2006
  Your thoughts, please (11)


11 Comments:
At September 11, 2006, Blogger Pamela said...

also, Rocks in My Dryerhas so many posts out there you'll never get them all read.

then there are all the posts commemorating a person who died that day.

One of those called it a "wave" around the blogosphere. I thought that was so well spoken.

 
At September 11, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

Honestly, I had forgotten that today is the 11th until I saw your post. Thank you.

 
At September 11, 2006, Blogger Swampwitch said...

That photo is one of the prettiest I've seen today. Thank you for all the links. I can't seem to pull myself away from this computer to read all the tributes.

 
At September 11, 2006, Blogger Karmyn R said...

I've been trying to get through as many tributes today as possible. I'll never get through them all....there is too many, and that in itself is heartwrenching.

The NY skyline is empty. My heart is empty. Tomorrow I'll move on - but today it is good to remember the dead - and honor those living.

 
At September 11, 2006, Blogger michele said...

Why wouldn't you want to submit this to the Carnival? If you want to submit it email me and I'll include it (make sure you send a description as well).

Thanks for the link.

 
At September 11, 2006, Blogger willowtree said...

You know, my earliest 'where was I?' memory was when JFK was shot. It's still vivid today, as is the WTC.

It's not really so strange that there are similarities with American Pie, don't forget, it too was written about the loss of innocent life in a plane crash.

 
At September 11, 2006, Blogger SongBird said...

Great post. I think the American Pie lyrics are very appropriate, too.

 
At September 11, 2006, Blogger Lynn said...

Nice work!
The picture is interesting.
I have seen so many pictures today.
My mind is a blurr.


My remember is up

 
At September 12, 2006, Blogger Diane Viere said...

You are so right....that date, where we were, what we were thinking and music related to it all...is forever etched in my memory.

I have honored Sgt. Michael Curtin on my 9/11 post. He was a NYPD officer who willingly walked into collapsing buildings on a rescue mission five years ago. His body was recovered from the rubble of Ground Zero March of 2002. So many lives lost, so many heroes.

Diane

 
At September 12, 2006, Blogger Anna Venger said...

Love the pic.

 
At September 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know - it is amazing how our lives can change from one minute to another...It makes me live my life with a lot more purpose...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Please click the red pensieve...it's my current blogging spot!

My Photo Name:
Robin

Location:
10-a-c

Married to my college sweet-heart :)...three GREAT kids I'm not selling to the circus today...I LOVE to laugh (& smile often)...love to read & cook, hate to shop (unless the store is very small and doesn't leave me dazed and confused). I'm scared of flying so although I'd like to travel more, I don't.

I've been pleasantly surprised to find life in my 40s to be an amazing time of transformation & discovery--of self, others, creation and the Creator.

Here's a partial explanation for my Blog title. I think it'd be cool if they really existed.

A Pensieve is a stone basin.... [One] can extract his or her own memories and place them in the Pensieve, especially to relieve the mind when it becomes too flooded with information. Anyone can examine the memories in the Pensieve, which also allows viewers to fully immerse themselves in the memories stored within...

A Pensieve first appears in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire...

For the complete explanation, see
my 2/17/06 post.

My complete profile

Something old, something new
One year ago today...
Look what Barbie's up to now!
The "cheese" stands alone
While I was looking for "attitude" pics...
LOVED this!!!
Enough
Me likey, me surprise-y
I n t e r e s t i n g . . .
Could YOU relax???


A Perfect Post



Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Blogging Chicks []

September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
November 2007
January 2008



Header Design by:


Blog Design by:


Powered by: