Monday, November 6
Vindication and Glory
Saturday was the last day of fall sports for our family. Because the previous weekend was a total washout, we had make up games. Stephen (yellow shirt below) had two soccer games instead of the scheduled one (9:30 a.m. & 2:30 p.m.); by the time the last whistle blew, he had scored a total of five goals for the day...quite a "feet" of accomplishment, great punctuation to a season that thankfully saw week-to-week improvement.

In between, Thomas had a noon "pick-up" football game (The "official season" was over). In spite of it being more a scrimmage than a game, he was FIRED UP because it was the only one they got to play on our school's campus since sixth grade is still played through the Y (none of his games were "home" games). Thomas had to leave his first basketball practice early in order to make his game--he's still in the "I can play everything" age of adolescence.

So, yeah, if you noticed game times, we were on the road all day long, Rachel in tow, dutifully playing the cheerleading big sis.

Thomas' football game started late, so it ran late, and Tad left early with Rach and Stephen to get to the second soccer match of the day. I was left behind to watch the ending of Thomas' game.

I cannot tell you just how important that proved to be.

He scored a touchdown in their only win of the season. His first ever.
Starting with a wobbly pitchout, he ran his heart out for 60 yards, his eyes never leaving the prize--the coveted endzone which had managed to elude his grasp all season. When I realized that was MY BABY him on the fly, my heart started racing. As he met each yard marker, my adrenaline coursed in sync with his. My mind loudly but silently pleaded a kind of soul-bartering prayer, a mother-hymn which must amuse the ears of God and cause Satan anxiously, greedily to roll fist in hand..."Please let him make it...PLEASE LET HIM MAKE IT!"

My heart exploded, but not from "mother pride", nothing like that. I knew what this meant to Thomas. It meant everything to him. It mattered too much. He's a classic middle child if there is such a thing. To say he loves/adores/relishes being the center of attention, is an understatement. For a moment, he measured up to the Legend that Lives in His Mind. Perhaps the most precious thing about it, was his friends' reaction. THEY were just as happy for him as I was, as he was himself. They know. Kids "know" whether they realize it or not.

It was a fantastic game for all the guys. For some reason, everyone had "a moment". The "stars" of their team stepped aside to share the glory. They had nothing to lose so they played with unbridled spirit--after all, their season was officially over, why not try something "new" for fun?

But when the Fat Lady finally sang, it was one heckuva winning number :).

Bigtime Postscript: Glad he had this glorious moment on Saturday, today is the day he bade farewell to four MORE babies. Let's just say I waited as long as I could because, although I feel his elation when he's on a "high", I feel his pain when he's on a low (he's sure we ALL feel his passion, good, bad or ugly!). He's hurtin' right now :(, but I'm sure in a few hours, all will be good :/.

  Into the pensieve on Monday, November 06, 2006
  Your thoughts, please (10)


10 Comments:
At November 06, 2006, Blogger Karmyn R said...

You tell Thomas that not only am I excited for him but I am SOOOOOOO proud of him!

WAY TO GO!!!!

 
At November 06, 2006, Blogger Claudia said...

You are one busy lady. although I am not much of a football fan, I was right there with ya on the anticipation and exhiliration! Way to go for Thomas!

 
At November 06, 2006, Blogger LeftCoastOnlooker said...

Congratulations! What a champion!
I'm glad he played with all his heart!

So sorry about the teeth :(

 
At November 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so proud of Thomas. He IS a star in my book. All that he thinks of himself is true. You have to believe it, if it is to be. How is that for philosophy?

 
At November 06, 2006, Blogger Kelly Curtis said...

I think you described that feeling so well. When your kid does something they're proud of.

There's this fine, but important line, between our pride, and our genuine happiness about their own.

 
At November 07, 2006, Blogger CyberCelt said...

Here very late for Click and Comment Monday.

 
At November 07, 2006, Blogger Susannah said...

Sniff, sniff. I feel your joy AND pain. This was a goody. A well told story, as usual. :~)

 
At November 07, 2006, Blogger Carol said...

Oh, wow! I could feel the excitement from here. I posted a bit today about football season at our house. I totally know the feeling of being the mom in the bleachers, heart in throat, a prayer escaping through clenched jaw.

Great post season post, Mom!

 
At November 07, 2006, Blogger Sally said...

I can imagine your excitement! Fantastic!

 
At November 08, 2006, Blogger Robin said...

Okay, guys, I just let Thomas read this...I watched him read 'cause I wasn't sure what his response would be. But...thankfully, he said, "I liked this post, thanks for writing it." THEN he read what Y'ALL wrote and said, "Your friends are nice...they're cool." So there ya go, words from T, and they're good ones :). BTW, he's been imitating Bugs Bunny for fun (since he only has his two front top teeth at the moment, and going for laughs rather than sympathy...he seems to know intuitively, "Laugh and the world laughs with you....").

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts......they always mean more than I letcha know...truly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Please click the red pensieve...it's my current blogging spot!

My Photo Name:
Robin

Location:
10-a-c

Married to my college sweet-heart :)...three GREAT kids I'm not selling to the circus today...I LOVE to laugh (& smile often)...love to read & cook, hate to shop (unless the store is very small and doesn't leave me dazed and confused). I'm scared of flying so although I'd like to travel more, I don't.

I've been pleasantly surprised to find life in my 40s to be an amazing time of transformation & discovery--of self, others, creation and the Creator.

Here's a partial explanation for my Blog title. I think it'd be cool if they really existed.

A Pensieve is a stone basin.... [One] can extract his or her own memories and place them in the Pensieve, especially to relieve the mind when it becomes too flooded with information. Anyone can examine the memories in the Pensieve, which also allows viewers to fully immerse themselves in the memories stored within...

A Pensieve first appears in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire...

For the complete explanation, see
my 2/17/06 post.

My complete profile

Will I EVER Write About Our Beach & Disney Trip?
Blogging Chicks Carnival Time
Surprise a "friend" of mine....
You Move, You Lose
Someone forgot to tell me I'm a black man
Unexpected Gifts (I wasn't finished...)
Waaaaayyyyy too cool!
Unexpected Gifts
Do you want someone to tell you if...
White and Nerdy


A Perfect Post



Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Blogging Chicks []

September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
November 2007
January 2008



Header Design by:


Blog Design by:


Powered by: